Connect with us

General

Worry as crime soars in Juja

Published

on

Loading...


By MARY WAMBUI
More by this Author

For many residents of Juja town in Kiambu County, a threat to students of Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (Jkuat) is a threat to their businesses.

The vibrancy of the small dusty town has been mostly maintained by the 30,000 students, most of whom live off campus as the university’s hostels can only host 2,700 of them.

Despite little space for expansion, Juja town has continued to grow with M-Pesa and printing shops, butcheries, supermarkets and hotels cropping up daily.

The booming business is now under threat.

Residents are concerned that cases of students being mugged are getting out of hand.

When Ms Tabitha Muthoni Mwangi, a student, was stabbed last month, locals chased one of the suspected attackers and killed him. The action was meant to send a warning to muggers.

But that did not stop the criminals from stabbing Mr Kelvin Mugendi, another student, this month. Mr Mugendi survived, but not so Ms Mwangi, who died while being taken to hospital.

Juja residents and leaders have demanded answers to the insecurity conundrum.

Area Directorate of Criminal Investigations boss Ali Samatar says the situation is manageable.

“It is not a complex criminal gang, but idle young men,” he says.

The police boss added that the town should have security cameras if the war on crime is to be won.

He told students not to expose themselves to attacks.

Mr Samatar warned students against talking on phone while walking in poorly lit areas.

“Some attackers are students. We have dealt with cases of students stabbing one another,” he said.

Last Saturday, a fourth year student stabbed his girlfriend in the stomach. The victim is being treated at Thika Level Five Hospital while the assailant is still at large.

Mr Moses Njogu, a resident, blames the rise in crime on unemployment. Thousands graduate every year but only a handful get jobs, he says.

“Some opt to start businesses around Juja but many of these fail. Even the suspects behind the KCB heist were graduates,” he said.

Loading...

Residents and the university fraternity have asked security agents to address crime in Juja.

Some people have expressed fear of the university losing a big number of foreign students if the problem is not addressed.

A majority of these students are based at the Pan African University’s Institute for Basic Sciences, Technology and Innovation.

More than 300 are from 36 African countries and they are enrolled in masters and doctorate programmes.

During the September 2018 admissions, Jkuat attracted 4,866 government-sponsored students.

“In line with government policy that delinks admissions from bed capacity, most of our students live outside the university,” Dr Nindzano Ngonyo, chief corporate communications officer at Jkuat, told the Nation.

“This has led to a symbiotic relationship. Investors have built hostels where our students can put up in the course of their studies.”

Top university officials say if insecurity in Juja is not addressed, the situation could affect learning.

“The management has noted with concern the deteriorating security situation in Juja where most of our students reside. In the recent past, there have been reports of gangs harassing and even violently attacking the public. Some of our students have lost their lives,” a statement by the university management read.

Jomo Kenyatta University Students Association president Clinton Osoro blames the situation on lack of proper coordination between authorities and the university.

“Proper mechanisms need to be put in place to curb these attacks and unnecessary deaths and injuries,” Mr Osoro said.



Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

DCI probes Nzoia bosses over Sh961k scandal: The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

KenyaAccording to an insider at Nzoia Sugar, the 228 bags were supplied to a trader based in Nairobi, who made the payment to the miller’s account.

Sleuths from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) have started probing senior Nzoia Sugar Company managers over the loss of 228 bags of sugar valued at Sh961,400.
At the centre of investigations are managers of a local bank in Nairobi where the payments to the miller’s account were made, but the money could not be traced thereafter. 
According to an insider at Nzoia Sugar, the 228 bags were supplied to a trader based in Nairobi, who made the payment to the miller’s account.
SEE ALSO: Detectives nab two suspects for conning man Sh72,000
Bungoma South DCI boss Yusuf Nzioka (pictured) told The Standard yesterday that they are following crucial leads that will help in the prosecution of the company’s managers, as well as the bank staffers who were involved in the syndicate.
Nzioka said following the supply of the 228 bags, the trader made payments in cash to the bank, which reflected to the firm’s account but could not be traced later.
“We are following up on how the payments were made in cash to Nzoia Sugar, which reflected in its account but could not be traced. We will leave no stone unturned until all the suspects are prosecuted,” said Nzioka.
Nzoia Sugar Managing Director Michael Wanjala, in a press statement dated May 27, confirmed that the sugar could not be accounted for and a probe was underway. 
“Nzoia Sugar Company has lost 228 bags of sugar worth Sh961,400 to a fraudster who presented a fake cash deposit slip to the company on May 14,” said Wanjala.
SEE ALSO: DCI intercept, arrest man linked with sale of fake alcohol brands
“We would like to confirm that the company reported the case to the relevant authorities and investigations are underway.”
He said a complete report of the investigations would be communicated to the public once the investigation is concluded.
Nzoia Sugar resumed operations on February 14 this year after a five-month maintenance break and has paid farmers Sh180 million since it resumed operations.
“We ask farmers to be patient as we are on the right track, since we have paid out Sh180 million to some of them,” said Wanjala.

Loading...

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Father, son jailed for 20 and 15 years respectively for raping neighbour: The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

Rift ValleyCourt rules prosecution had submitted enough evidence against the two

A man and his son have been handed 20 and 15 years-jail terms respectively for raping a woman in Kuresoi North in 2018.
John Chirchir, 58 and his son Vincent Lang’at, 28 were found guilty of raping the 28-year-old woman from Telowa village.
According to the court, the two jointly violated the woman who was their neighbour against her will on June 27, 2018.
SEE ALSO: COVID-19: Nakuru MCAs risk lives to meet over Sh14,500 allowance
The two were arrested on the same day and produced before court on the following day for plea taking.
While delivering his judgement, Molo Resident Magistrate Emmanuel Soita said the prosecution led by John Limo had submitted enough evidence against the two.
The Magistrate noted that five witnesses were called on testifies against the suspects.
The same court also handed a ten-year jail term to Samuel Kiprono who is accused of defiling a nine-year-old girl at Keringet area in Kuresoi South.

Loading...

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Sudan says three jailed Bashir aides have virus

Published

on

Loading...
AFP

By AFP
More by this Author

Sudanese authorities said Wednesday that three former senior aides to ousted president Omar al-Bashir have caught the novel coronavirus in prison.

Former officials Ali Othman Taha, Ahmed Mohamed Haroun and Abdulreheem Mohamed Hussein have been held in Khartoum’s Kober prison since Bashir’s military ouster in April 2019 following mass protests against his rule.

All three are awaiting trial in Sudan for corruption and other offences.

Haroun and Hussein, who held top government positions under Bashir, are wanted by the International Criminal Court over their role in the Darfur conflict.

On Wednesday, Sudan’s public prosecution said the three men had tested positive for Covid-19, which has so far infected 4,146 people and killed 184 in the country.

Advertisement

Haroun has been in an isolation centre in northern Khartoum since late April, the statement said.

Prison authorities tested the others on May 20 and transferred Hussein to a hospital in Omdurman, Khartoum’s twin city, and Taha to an isolation centre in central Khartoum, according to the statement.

Taha served as vice president under Bashir between 1998-2013, and was previously Sudan’s foreign minister.

Hussein served in several positions including defence and interior minister. He was also assigned governor of Khartoum before Bashir’s ouster.

Loading...

Haroun served as minister of state for the interior, minister of state for humanitarian affairs, and governor of the conflict-ridden South Kordofan.

All three were members of Bashir’s now-defunct National Congress Party.

The Hague-based ICC charged Bashir and others — including Haroun and Hussein — with war crimes and crimes against humanity in the Darfur conflict which erupted in 2003.

The fighting started when ethnic minority rebels took up arms against Bashir’s Arab-dominated government, accusing it of political and economic marginalisation of their region.

The United Nations estimates around 300,000 people were killed and 2.5 million others displaced in the conflict.

Human rights groups say Khartoum targeted suspected pro-rebel ethnic groups with a scorched earth policy, raping, killing, looting and burning villages.

In February, Sudan’s transitional authorities, who took power in August, agreed that Bashir and his aides should stand trial before the ICC.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending