Connect with us

General

Women confront Dutch defiler in Nairobi streets

Published

on

Loading...


By NYABOGA KIAGE
More by this Author

Two women who say they were molested in the Netherlands by a convicted Dutch serial paedophile facing similar charges in Kenya confronted their abuser on the streets of Nairobi after flying in this week.

The duo — Eustacia and her cousin Suzana, both 35 (surnames withheld) — arrived on Monday night with the aim of testifying against Hans Vriens Egon Dieter, 66, at the Milimani Law Courts.

But that did not happen, as the case was postponed from Friday this week to April 23, when a decision will be made on defilement charges facing Dieter.

The paedophile was convicted and jailed for two and a half years in the Netherlands after he was found guilty of molesting six minors. At the time, at least 182 complaints were filed against him. Dieter later relocated to Kenya and opened a series of orphanages, where investigators say he continued defiling minors.

“We still have interest in being enjoined in the case so we can testify against him, he should not be free because that is endangering more lives,” Eustacia said.

On Thursday, the duo confronted Mr Diter in Nairobi’s Roysambu estate.

The confrontation was witnessed by this writer and Dutch journalists John Van den Heuvel and Koen Nederhof, who work for Telegraaf.

As soon as the case was highlighted in the Netherlands on Thursday this week, the Netherlands Legal Protection Minister Sander Dekker regretted that Dieter was allowed to run an orphanage in Kenya.

During the confrontation, at first, the suspect dismissed them, saying that he did not know them, but later agreed that he knew them after the women insisted that he had messed up their lives by sexually assaulting them when they were underage girls.

“You messed up our lives and ran away from the Netherlands to come to Kenya and go on with the nasty things that you did to us,” Eustacia told the suspect. Eustacia and her cousin wondered how Dieter is a free man while his victims are still traumatised by his actions.

When he was confronted by the victims, Diter said the current complaints about him were made up, but added that only his lawyer could comment further.

“Let me share with my lawyer about the matter and he will get back to you,” he said as he crossed Thika Road. At Dieter’s Kitui home, the two Dutch women were shocked to see the minors’ “hard life” at Dieter’s orphanage. They said they would do everything to ensure that the children change their lives.

A woman who identified herself as Rachael during the visit to the Kitui home said that she knows Diter as a good man and that it was hard to believe that he had ever molested minors.

Loading...

“Is it true that he ever did that? He might have done mistakes in the past but all I can say now is that he is a changed man,” she said, adding that the suspect visits the home twice every month. However, she said visitors were not allowed to see the children without permission from Diter.

It is not clear how he left the Netherlands for Kenya, but police say he could have been using a fake passport.

In February this year, after a joint investigation by the Nation and Nairobi News exposed his life in Kenya, the Netherlands House of Representatives asked the Legal Protection minister to temporarily confiscate passports from paedophiles in the country. His first arrest in Kenya on sex-related charges was in 2002, when he was arraigned in court for allegedly defiling three minors aged between 12 and 15 years in Donholm Estate in Nairobi.

He was released on a bond of Sh200,000 but we were unable to obtain details of the determination of the case. The two victims said they tried to closely follow the case with the aim of pinning him down by providing evidence to the Kenyan government but lost track of it.

“We did not hear about him until in November 2018, when we saw an article about his arrest and since then we hatched a plan to ensure that we be part of the case,” said Eustacia.

Diter was later released on a police bond but still faced accusations of defiling three minors aged eight, nine and 10 years in 2016. He would later disappear until November 1, 2018, when the police arrested him at his house in Roysambu estate.

The following day, he was arraigned at the Milimani Law Courts and, according to lead investigator Pazul Aboge who is attached to the Transnational Organised Crime and Child Protection Unit, the suspect duped the children’s mothers that he would sponsor their education in his “school”. The victims said that they immediately started fundraising as soon as they learnt of his arrest.

The Sunday Nation and Nairobi News have also established that Diter on November 21, 2013 fraudulently tried to get money from a Kenyan using a fake US passport and the name Donald McDaniel. But he did not succeed, as the hotel manager reported him to the police, leading to his arrest.



Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

China’s mask boom takes fabric away from nappy makers

Published

on

Loading...
AFP

By AFP
More by this Author

China’s ramp-up of mask production to counter the coronavirus outbreak has claimed unlikely victims — nappies, wet wipes and sanitary towels that are made with the same raw materials.

Manufacturers say textiles such as nonwoven fabric have been in short supply from being diverted to the more lucrative mask business, leaving producers of hygiene products high and dry.

Some firms have been forced to halve production or hike prices, with the industry expressing concern over the future of supply lines.

As the coronavirus pushed China into lockdown after surfacing in the central city of Wuhan in December, leaders embarked on a massive effort to produce enough masks for overwhelmed medical staff and the country’s 1.4 billion people.

Advertisement

But with everyone from carmakers to garment factories switching to mask production to meet demand, the cost of raw materials spiked, with no quick end in sight as the pandemic continues to wreak havoc worldwide.

“It’s not that we lack the capacity for production, but the costs are extremely high,” said Huang Tenglong, deputy general manager of diaper maker Fujian Time and Tianhe Industrial Co.

“In January, the raw material for our diapers cost around 13,000 yuan ($1,820 per tonne) but at its peak, it went up to 140,000 or 150,000 yuan,” he told AFP, referring to a period late last month as global demand for masks surged.

Lin Yanting, deputy general manager of another nappy-maker DaddyBaby, said the cost of non-woven fabric remains around 50,000-60,000 yuan per tonne.

“A diaper uses more material than a mask but… I will only turn a profit if I use (the fabric) for a mask,” he said.

“In this environment, a lot of smaller producers cannot sustain… This affects people making sanitary pads, diapers, facial masks and other nonwoven fabric-based products.”

Huang’s firm, which employs around 400 staff, has halved its nappy production, reduced the range of products it makes and increased the sale price by up to 20 percent.

Some clients continue making purchases with fewer orders but more have paused completely, he said.

“I definitely hope that the pandemic will be over soon. Although we can produce protective gear as well, (the situation) is actually damaging to the overall economic system,” he said.

“At the end of it, we may have lost our main business,” he added, referring to hygiene products.

Loading...

Shen Shengyuan, deputy general manager of nappy-maker New Yifa Group, said although his company has tried sourcing raw materials from abroad, air freight is a problem and a shipping time of over two weeks would be too long.

He said New Yifa had been taking fewer new orders and was struggling to fulfil existing ones because of short supplies.

Lin added that DaddyBaby is producing nappies at a loss now with the high costs, making up the shortfall with profits from its new mask production lines set up during the outbreak — an attempt to maintain stability in the market.

A manager surnamed Yang at Jiaxuan Household Items said it was “impossible” to obtain nonwoven fabric for other uses such as in household products, adding that her company had put production of other items on hold to make masks.

Shen said he was “worried” about an impact on supplies outside China.

“We simply haven’t been able to produce the goods,” he said, adding that half the company’s non-mask production used to be exported.

“Customers have been negotiating with us, saying they need us to step up production.”

But he estimates suppliers make 10 times more profit by putting raw materials to use in masks than nappies.

China Youth Daily reported that as of April 4, some 69,000 companies in China were involved in the mask business, with 19,000 of these coming into the picture after January 25 — days after Wuhan went into lockdown and the country saw growing restrictions to curb the virus spread.

The report added that China’s daily mask output has reached 450 million, compared with more than five billion for all of 2019.

Suppliers have been hard-pressed to meet demand.

“They have sufficient reason as well, saying local governments have requested for them to shift production to key anti-epidemic material,” Shen said.

He told AFP: “It is not a problem with our production capacity, but an issue with suppliers and China’s entire industrial chain.”

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Kenya: 72 More Test Positive to COVID-19 in Kenya

Published

on

Loading...

Kenya’s Covid-19 confirmed cases on Monday jumped to 1,286 after 72 individuals tested positive for virus in the last 24 hours.

Speaking at Afya House on Monday, Health CAS Dr Mercy Mwangangi said of these new cases, 70 are Kenyans while the other two are from Somalia and Uganda.

NAIROBI CASES

Forty four of these cases are male while 28 are female aged between 12 and 78 years.

Dr Mwangangi said the results are from 2,711 samples taken during that period bringing the total samples tested in the country to 61,971.

Nairobi county accounted for 52 cases, Mombasa recorded 11, Kiambu seven while Isiolo and Turkana one each, with the latter becoming the latest county to record a case.

In Nairobi, Langata recorded the highest number with 21 cases, Dagoretti North 15, Kamukunji and Kibra four each, Kasarani three while Embakasi East had two cases. A cases each was recorded in Dagoretti South, Makadara and Mathare.

Loading...

RECOVERIES

At the same time, nine more patients have recovered from the disease raising the total number of recoveries to 402.

Meanwhile, one patient died of the disease with total fatalities now standing at 52.

“Unfortunately, one more person has died and this means we have now lost 52 patients,” said the CAS.

Dr Mwangangi at the same time called on Kenyans to maintain a healthy diet at this time to help in the fight against Covid-19.

Globally, since the first case of Covid-19 was reported in China in December 2019, the cases have soared to 5,524,797 which included 2,315,832 recoveries and 347,097 deaths.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Ex-Sofapaka goalkeeper reveals how he was offered Sh2 million to fix KPL match – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Former Sofapaka goalkeeper Ismail Wetanga has sensationally claimed that he was once offered Sh2 million to throw away a Kenyan Premier League game.

The Ugandan keeper joined Batoto Ba Mungu in June 2019 from Ethiopia’s Coffee but only lasted six months at the Kenyan club.

SH 2 MILLION OFFER

He left via mutual consent under controversial circumstances in what was seen as a surprise move considering his quality.

“I have big dreams as a goalkeeper and $20,000 (Sh2 million) cannot cancel these dreams. I had to move on,” he told the government owned New Vision newspaper in an interview.

The shot stopper also claims the cash was offered to him by betting firms which he stopped short of naming.

Wetanga has been without a club since but reports suggest he is on the verge of joining Mamelodi Sundowns in South Africa’s top league.

MATCH FIXING

Loading...

Wetanga’s claims come amid confirmed reports of match fixing in the Kenyan Premier League.

In February, football’s world governing body Fifa handed lengthy bans to four players who were found guilty of match fixing.

Kenya players Moses Chikati, Festus Okiring and Festo Omukoto were banned for four years while Ugandan national George Mandela was banned for life.

These players were playing for Kakamega Homeboyz when they committed these crimes.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending