Connect with us

Sports

Three Harambee Stars players paid for Otieno’s surgery

Published

on

Loading...

Kenya internationals Victor Wanyama, Japan based striker Michael Olunga and Jesse Were rallied together by contributing funds to help their injured colleague Philemon Otieno undergo surgery.

Otieno has been out injured since August 4 when he featured for the national team in a CHAN qualifier against Tanzania but despite picking up an injury on international duty, the federation did not come to his aid despite an earlier promise to have him undergo surgery in France, with FKF maintaining that “they did not have funds”.

And after months of standoff between the federation and his club Gor Mahia, Otieno eventually went under the knife last week at the Kenyatta National Hospital.

“Otieno had no otherwise but to reach out to his fellow national team players to help raise money for his treatment. This, to me, is unfair. FKF should have footed the bills,” said Gor Mahia Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Lordvick Aduda.

According to Aduda, Wanyama, Olunga and Were joined forces with the Kenya Footballers Welfare Association(KEFWA) by chipping in to save the career of the promising utility man by raising the Sh450,000 fee that was needed for the surgery.

Aduda added that FKF ignored his letter in which he sought to know whether the federation would undertake the surgery costs, a move that occasioned the intervention of friends.

“I wrote to FKF on September 4 to seek their opinion on the treatment of the player but to date they have not responded. They totally ignored my letter,” fumed Aduda.

Otieno picked a cruciate ligament injury and is expected to be out for at least six months. He featured prominently for Stars at this year’s African Cup of Nations finals in Egypt in July.

Loading...

FKF CEO Barry Otieno on the other hand told Citizen Digital in a separate interview on Monday that “he had no details about the surgery” referring us to either Otieno or his club Gor Mahia.

Philemon has in the meantime declined to talk to the media since the matter gained national attention letting his club handle the media queries.

Meanwhile, asked whether the club will in future release their players for the national duties in light of Otieno’s experience, Aduda said it would be unfair to deny players a chance to play for their country reckoning that such a move could attract sanctions from world soccer governing body FIFA.

Kenya will collide with Mozambique in a FIFA international friendly this Sunday at Kasarani.




For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel


Video Of The Day: Siblings Esther and Ezekiel sing their way to Ksh. 5 million #EastAfricaGotTalent grand prize


Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Europe beckons for South African rugby after Kiwi snub

Published

on

Loading...

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, Jul 20World Cup-winning Springbok Schalk Brits believes the future of South African rugby lies in Europe after New Zealand said there was no room for sides from the republic in Super Rugby.

“All of this jet lag and flying across different time zones just does not work,” said the hooker who retired after the triumphant 2019 World Cup campaign.

“We have got so many South Africans playing in Europe and it would be awesome to see them in action here for European clubs.”

With New Zealand favouring a trans-Tasman Super Rugby competition, South Africa Rugby chief executive Jurie Roux will address the media Tuesday about the way forward.

There has been no rugby in South Africa since mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic, which claimed 5,033 lives by late Sunday, the most in an African country.

Here, AFP Sport looks at the possibilities for the world champions Springboks and Super Rugby teams the Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers.

Rugby Championship

There has been speculation that the six-round annual tournament will be cut to four matches with New Zealand and Australia playing in South Africa only every second year.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

That would be a huge blow for SA Rugby coffers as the century-old rivalry with the All Blacks makes them a huge drawcard.

South Africa might consider abandoning the Championship and pursuing a suggestion by former All Blacks Justin Marshall and Jeff Wilson for three-Test tours between the great rivals.

“British and Irish Lions tours are so successful because we look forward to them,” noted another ex-All Black, John Kirwan. The same could be said of an All Blacks-Springboks series.

‘Seven Nations’

Should South African franchises move north, would the Springboks follow suit and apply to join England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales in a ‘Seven Nations’ championship?

Having the world champions on board would surely excite the organisers and costs would be greatly reduced if the Springboks played their three away matches on consecutive weekends.

Loading...

England, Ireland, France and Wales, in particular, would bring freshness for rugby followers, who have not rushed to the turnstiles for Championship visits by Australia and Argentina.

Ask the SA Rugby treasurer for his ‘dream’ line-up and he would surely say a multi-Test tour by the All Blacks and participation in the ‘Seven Nations’.

Super Rugby

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Although not official yet, the reality is that New Zealand want to play some Australian sides and the Pacific Islands in a new competition while excluding South Africa and Argentina.

The original version, a Super 10 between 1993 and 1995, was a superb competition, but constant tinkering and expansion has led to waning interest in a difficult-to-follow event.

Even those supporting the Golden Lions of South Africa could not have derived too much satisfaction from a 94-7 thrashing of Japanese visitors the Sunwolves three years ago.

South Africa sides often battled with time differences in Australasia — New Zealand is 11 hours ahead of the republic — and were weary after four-match tours.

‘Pro16’

Pro14 chief executive Martin Anayi says he would welcome Super Rugby ‘rejects’ the Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers into an expanded edition.

“The tournament works well but could be even better if we added some South African teams,” he said, referring to a competition that also includes Irish, Italian, Scottish and Welsh teams.

But there may be no room for the two current South African Pro14 participants, the Cheetahs and Kings, who have experienced very different fortunes.

While the Cheetahs have been competitive, the Kings won just four of 55 matches in three seasons with some of the losing margins embarrassing.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Currie Cup

The domestic competition has survived constant format changes to remain the vital ‘nursery’ from which Springboks emerge.

First staged in 1892, it was the bedrock of South African rugby until the dawn of professionalism after the 1995 Rugby World Cup.

As Test and Super Rugby fixtures took up an increasing amount of the season, the Currie Cup often battled for calendar space.

But it survived and this year could feature the four Super Rugby sides plus the Cheetahs, Kings, Griquas and Pumas, if play is possible amid the coronavirus.

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Kenya records highest number of deaths from Covid-19

Published

on

Loading...
Kenya records highest number of deaths from Covid-19

Continue Reading

Sports

Kenya’s coronavirus cases rise to 13,771 after 418 more infections

Published

on

Loading...

By NATION REPORTER

Kenya on Monday reported 418 more Covid-19 infections, raising the country’s tally to 13,771 since the virus was first confirmed on March 13.

Loading...

Health Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS) Rashid Aman also reported four more deaths, raising the toll to 238. He rectified an earlier report about 19 deaths in a single day, which would have been the highest number ever recorded in Kenya.

The 418 new patients were found following the testing of 2,474 samples in the last 24 hours.

Four hundred and eight of them were Kenyans and 10 foreigners while male patients numbered 263 and female patients 155.

Dr Aman also announced that 494 patients had been discharged, raising the country’s total number of recoveries to 5,616.

Of the recovered patients, 465 were under home care and the rest in hospitals.

Advertisement

More to follow

Loading...
Continue Reading

Trending