Connect with us

General

Suspect Arrested in Murang’a Prison Warden Murder

Published

on

Loading...

Police have arrested a suspect in the murder of 24 year old Pauline Wangari, a warder at Muranga GK Prison.

Wangari’s lifeless body was found on Wednesday, bearing multiple stab wounds in the stomach, chest and head.

According to Murang’a County Police Commander Josphat Kinyua, the lady could have been killed on Monday night, and her failure to report for duty prompted the management of Murang’a GK Prison to start looking for her.

Her decomposing body was discovered in her rental house in Kiharu Estate, Wednesday morning.

The working theory according to the police was a love affair gone sour. “We have started investigations to establish the cause of the death of the prison warder although by the look of things, it appears that it could be love gone sour,” the police commander said.

Wangari was described as a beauty queen who was very social and loved partying.

“She was very beautiful, likable and very social; she liked partying and had lots of male friends whom she went out with in local clubs. She had served as a warder for three years and had celebrated her 24th birthday on April 20,” a friend told Nation.

Today, police were able to make an arrest on a man thought to have been with Wangari at the time of her death.

Loading...

Peterson Njiru was arraigned in court Thursday morning as the main suspect in the murder. The court granted the prosecution’s request to detain him for 14 days as they complete their probe.

Peterson is a businessman in Murang’a town and is also active in various sports.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

North Korea threatens to scrap military deal with South

Published

on

Loading...

Seoul

North Korea threatened Thursday to scrap a military agreement with the South and close down a cross-border liaison office unless Seoul stops activists from flying anti-Pyongyang leaflets over the border.

The statement issued by the powerful younger sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un comes amid a deep freeze in inter-Korean ties, despite three summits between Kim and the South’s President Moon Jae-in in 2018.

North Korean defectors and other activists have long flown balloons across the border carrying leaflets that criticise Kim over human rights abuses and his nuclear ambitions.

“The South Korean authorities will be forced to pay a dear price if they let this situation go on while making all sort of excuses,” Kim Yo Jong said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.

DEFECTORS

Advertisement

Calling the defectors “human scum” and “rubbish-like mongrel dogs” who betrayed their homeland, she said it was “time to bring their owners to account” in a reference to the South Korean government.

Loading...

She threatened to scrap a military pact signed during Moon’s visit to Pyongyang in 2018 aimed at easing border tensions, and shut down a cross-border liaison office.

But most of the deals agreed at that meeting have not been acted on, with Pyongyang largely cutting off contact with Seoul following the collapse of a summit between Kim and US President Donald Trump in Hanoi last year that left nuclear talks at a standstill.

OPERATIONS SUSPENDED

Operations at the liaison office have already been suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic, and the North has carried out dozens of weapons tests since the military agreement was signed.

Kim Yo Jong also threatened to pull out permanently from joint projects with the South including the Kaesong Industrial Park and Mount Kumgang tours – both of them money-spinners for the North that have been suspended for years due to sanctions over its weapons programmes.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Cops hunting for rider who fled with friend’s Sh505K and switched off phone – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Police are looking for a boda boda rider who disappeared after receiving Sh505,200 he had been sent by his friend to collect for her.

Bernard Onsase had been sent by Monica Macharia to collect the money from her friend at Wilson Airport on May 9.

He later switched off his phone and disappeared.

Shaurimoyo police station is obtained court orders to compel telephone services provider Safaricom to share details of Onsase and his wife Asenath Omwenga’s mobile phone numbers.

Police constable Mohamed Ragow told Makadara chief magistrate Heston Nyaga that Onsase has been Macharia’s customer but moved his family and relocated to an unknown place.

Police want Safaricom to avail M-Pesa transaction details of the couple’s phone numbers from May 9 to date and any other information that may help in obtaining concrete evidence for the case.

Loading...

The police also want to have access and carry away document related to transactions of Onsase’s account and Safaricom to provide other telephone numbers the two could have registered.

Nyaga granted the orders, but, however, pointed out that 90 percent of Kenyans are likely to do what Onsase did.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Tunisia announces 3rd phase of lifting Covid-19 restrictions

Published

on

Loading...

By XINHUA

Tunis

Tunisian minister in charge of major national projects Lobna Jribi announced on Wednesday the main lines of the third phase of the national strategy for partially lifting the coronavirus lockdown.

“From June 4, work will resume at 100 per cent capacity in public administrations and in the other sectors of activity,” Jribi said at a press briefing at the government’s headquarters in Tunis.

She announced that mosques, all worship places, hotels and restaurants will reopen on June 4.

“Party halls will reopen on the same date,” said the minister, adding that the enclosed spaces will operate at 50 per cent of their capacity and the open spaces will operate at full capacity, but in compliance with hygiene measures.

SPORTS

Loading...
Advertisement

Various sporting activities will be resumed from June 8 without the public “for the moment,” while respecting the preventive measures fixed by the Ministry of Youth and Sports.

Travel between all Tunisian governorates will resume without authorisation, said Jribi.

Tunisian nationals abroad will be repatriated from June 4 to June 14, “and priority will be given to students and residents who have lost their jobs”.

“Since March 15, 2020, Tunisian authorities have managed to ensure the repatriation of 25,000 Tunisians stranded abroad, including 18,000 by air and 7,000 via land borders,” said the Minister of Transport and Logistics, Anouar Maarouf, at a press briefing held in Tunis on Wednesday.

SCHEDULED FLIGHTS

Maarouf said that several flights have been scheduled recently to repatriate Tunisians living in various countries who wish to spend the summer holidays in Tunisia.

“However, the programming of new repatriation flights does not mean opening the borders,” explained Maarouf.

He stressed that any Tunisian national repatriated will be called upon to comply with a mandatory confinement of two weeks; “one week at the hotel at his own expense – during which two screening tests will be carried out, with one upon arrival and the other upon exit – and a second week at his home.”

EXEMPTED FROM QUARANTINE

Students, employees whose contract of employment has expired, Tunisian nationals in difficult financial situations, and those who have been stranded in the destination countries will be exempted from the quarantine fees.

On May 26, Mohamed Rabhi, head of the health quarantine commission at the ministry revealed that mandatory quarantine in Tunisian medical centres over the Covid-19 concerns has so far cost the state 15 million dinars (5 million US dollars).

On June 1, Tunisia decided to reopen the land, air and sea borders from June 27, but Tunisian nationals abroad will be repatriated from June 4.

On Wednesday, Tunisia reported one imported Covid-19 case, bringing the total number of cases to 1,087.

The Tunisian government has imposed strict confinement measures shortly after the announcement of the first coronavirus case on March 2.

The North African country has received several batches of medical aid from the Chinese government, Chinese foundations and companies since late March to help its fight against the pandemic.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending