Over 90 per cent of women in Kenya’s real estate industry have experienced some form of sexual harassment while another 82 per cent have witnessed it, a new report shows.
The preliminary report was based on the findings of the ‘Women in Real Estate Survey on Sexual Harassment’ that began on June 23.
So far, 60 people have taken part in the survey by Women in Real Estate Estate (Wire), an organisation focused on advancing the achievements of women in the built industry. The study targeted Wire’s members as well as other women in the industry.
The report stated that although more women are gaining courage to speak up about their experiences, many cases still go unreported.
It also found that sexual harassment is more pronounced in the workplace, with 60.8 per cent of the respondents saying they had experienced it. This was closely followed by harassment at learning institutions at 41. 2 per cent and harassment at construction sites at 39.2 per cent.
According to the report, the most common form of sexual harassment against women in real estate is verbal harassment, at 90 per cent, followed by physical harassment at 64 per cent. Other forms of harassment included non-verbal cues.
A shocking observation was that a majority of the women who said they had been sexually harassed said the offence was committed by someone close to them. Over 64 per cent of the respondents said they have been sexually harassed by a colleague or a fellow student.
“From the survey, 64.7 per cent of the respondents have been sexually harassed by a colleague or a fellow student.Even more worrying is the 33.3 per cent and 31.4 per cent who have suffered sexual harassment from a boss and a teacher, respectively,” the report stated.
Other perpetrators were found to be friends (25.5 per cent) and strangers at (15.7 per cent).
The survey was conducted to advocate against sexual harassment and inform policies and codes of conduct in a bid to encourage more people to speak up on issues related to sexual harassment, using all platforms including social media.
In the past four months, the coronavirus pandemic has heightened the harsh reality of gender-based violence and sexual harassment in country, with more organisations raising concerns about rising incidences of rape and teenage pregnancies.
Forty nine per cent of the respondents in the Wire study said they resisted by asking the perpetrators to stop. Some 39.2 per cent opted to tell a family member or a friend while 27.5 per cent took no action.
Only 12.9 per cent of the reported cases were acted upon while the offenders in 21.3 per cent of the cases went unpunished. This adds to the emotional and psychological trauma that victims suffer as they feel their voices do not count.
Data from the report showed that 69 per cent of those impacted by sexual harassment have suffered some form of trauma, with a majority (33.3 per cent) acknowledging that they feel insecure and have diminished confidence.
About 27.3 per cent of the respondents said they had suffered increased fear while 12.3 per cent said they had developed a distrust in men. Some 9.1 per cent said they lost jobs or business in the process.
The report recommended creation of a culture of respect and zero-tolerance to sexual harassment, which could help curb cases.
Respondents further suggested public education on sexual harassment and the development of institutional policies on the matter for direction on how to deal with cases.
“Victims of sexual harassment need to be provided with safe spaces to open up, be it at home, at work or at school,” the report stated.
“Similarly, strict policies defining sexual harassment, including procedures to follow when a victim experiences any form, as well as course of action to be taken on the offender, must be created.”
Europe beckons for South African rugby after Kiwi snub
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, Jul 20 – World Cup-winning Springbok Schalk Brits believes the future of South African rugby lies in Europe after New Zealand said there was no room for sides from the republic in Super Rugby.
“All of this jet lag and flying across different time zones just does not work,” said the hooker who retired after the triumphant 2019 World Cup campaign.
“We have got so many South Africans playing in Europe and it would be awesome to see them in action here for European clubs.”
With New Zealand favouring a trans-Tasman Super Rugby competition, South Africa Rugby chief executive Jurie Roux will address the media Tuesday about the way forward.
There has been no rugby in South Africa since mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic, which claimed 5,033 lives by late Sunday, the most in an African country.
Here, AFP Sport looks at the possibilities for the world champions Springboks and Super Rugby teams the Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers.
There has been speculation that the six-round annual tournament will be cut to four matches with New Zealand and Australia playing in South Africa only every second year.
That would be a huge blow for SA Rugby coffers as the century-old rivalry with the All Blacks makes them a huge drawcard.
South Africa might consider abandoning the Championship and pursuing a suggestion by former All Blacks Justin Marshall and Jeff Wilson for three-Test tours between the great rivals.
“British and Irish Lions tours are so successful because we look forward to them,” noted another ex-All Black, John Kirwan. The same could be said of an All Blacks-Springboks series.
Should South African franchises move north, would the Springboks follow suit and apply to join England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales in a ‘Seven Nations’ championship?
Having the world champions on board would surely excite the organisers and costs would be greatly reduced if the Springboks played their three away matches on consecutive weekends.
England, Ireland, France and Wales, in particular, would bring freshness for rugby followers, who have not rushed to the turnstiles for Championship visits by Australia and Argentina.
Ask the SA Rugby treasurer for his ‘dream’ line-up and he would surely say a multi-Test tour by the All Blacks and participation in the ‘Seven Nations’.
Although not official yet, the reality is that New Zealand want to play some Australian sides and the Pacific Islands in a new competition while excluding South Africa and Argentina.
The original version, a Super 10 between 1993 and 1995, was a superb competition, but constant tinkering and expansion has led to waning interest in a difficult-to-follow event.
Even those supporting the Golden Lions of South Africa could not have derived too much satisfaction from a 94-7 thrashing of Japanese visitors the Sunwolves three years ago.
South Africa sides often battled with time differences in Australasia — New Zealand is 11 hours ahead of the republic — and were weary after four-match tours.
Pro14 chief executive Martin Anayi says he would welcome Super Rugby ‘rejects’ the Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers into an expanded edition.
“The tournament works well but could be even better if we added some South African teams,” he said, referring to a competition that also includes Irish, Italian, Scottish and Welsh teams.
But there may be no room for the two current South African Pro14 participants, the Cheetahs and Kings, who have experienced very different fortunes.
While the Cheetahs have been competitive, the Kings won just four of 55 matches in three seasons with some of the losing margins embarrassing.
The domestic competition has survived constant format changes to remain the vital ‘nursery’ from which Springboks emerge.
First staged in 1892, it was the bedrock of South African rugby until the dawn of professionalism after the 1995 Rugby World Cup.
As Test and Super Rugby fixtures took up an increasing amount of the season, the Currie Cup often battled for calendar space.
But it survived and this year could feature the four Super Rugby sides plus the Cheetahs, Kings, Griquas and Pumas, if play is possible amid the coronavirus.
Kenya records highest number of deaths from Covid-19
Kenya’s coronavirus cases rise to 13,771 after 418 more infections
Kenya on Monday reported 418 more Covid-19 infections, raising the country’s tally to 13,771 since the virus was first confirmed on March 13.
Health Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS) Rashid Aman also reported four more deaths, raising the toll to 238. He rectified an earlier report about 19 deaths in a single day, which would have been the highest number ever recorded in Kenya.
The 418 new patients were found following the testing of 2,474 samples in the last 24 hours.
Four hundred and eight of them were Kenyans and 10 foreigners while male patients numbered 263 and female patients 155.
Dr Aman also announced that 494 patients had been discharged, raising the country’s total number of recoveries to 5,616.
Of the recovered patients, 465 were under home care and the rest in hospitals.
More to follow