Connect with us

General

Six officers identified as ‘saboteurs’ of Kirinyaga healthcare : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

A eye sore in one of the sections at the Kerugoya Maternity Ward which has prompted the health professionals to issue a 72 hour ultimatum to the county government to address the matter. [Munene Kamau /Standard]

A task force Governor Anne Waiguru appointed to look into the crisis in the health sector has identified six senior officers said to have been sabotaging service delivery.

The said officers will face a disciplinary committee before the next cause of action against them is decided.
The nine-man task force was constituted last Sunday and given 72 hours to report its findings on what is ailing the county’s health sector.
Yesterday, Ms Waiguru, after touring the Kerugoya Referral Hospital, said the six officers were yet to be notified of the impending disciplinary action.

SEE ALSO :Mt Kenya leaders lobby for share of Sh33b road project

“I have just received the report from the task force and another one from the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board. Both have identified six senior officers, but procedure requires that their names be made public once all the disciplinary procedures are in place,” she said.
Waiguru also claimed the issue had been politicised by those eyeing her seat in 2022 at the expense of patients.
She also said other than the collapsed general hygiene of healthcare facilities and whose glory has been restored, the laboratory section personnel were a let down to the patients.
The governor said the personnel had never presented payments for reagent supplies to the procurement department leading to total collapse of the section.
“This now explains why patients have always been referred to private laboratories where they are charged exorbitantly,” she said.

Loading...

SEE ALSO :Anne Waiguru reshuffles Cabinet

Register to advertise your products & services on our classifieds website Digger.co.ke and enjoy one month subscription free of charge and 3 free ads on the Standard newspaper.

Governor Anne WaiguruTask forceSaboteurs

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Governor Waiguru rejects MCA’s amendments on Covid-19 budget – KBC

Published

on

Loading...

Kirinyaga County Governor Anne Waiguru has rejected amendments by the County Assembly to the Supplementary 2 budget that is supposed to accommodate funds for Covid-19 management.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

The Governor said that the back and forth by the MCAs to add more and more to themselves is at the expense of Kirinyaga residents.

She said the stance taken by the ward representatives is unfortunate and will hamper the County’s fight against Covid-19 pandemic.

The supplementary 2 budget was meant to provide a budget of Ksh 20 million which will be used in mitigating effects of corona virus in the County.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Instead of passing the budget, the assembly went ahead to re-allocate Ksh 100 million earlier allocated to Kerugoya Hospital Complex and another Ksh 30 million allocated to fuel used for in-house roads program and allocated them to ward based projects.

Governor Waiguru has said that the assembly’s amendments were not practical since the funds that were originally factored in this financial year’s budget had been significantly absorbed therefore reallocation is impractical and illegal

Loading...

She said that the assembly’s demand to see the balances themselves were just a delay tactic which has dealt a big blow to the fight against Covid-19 in the County.

“We had presented supplementary 2 budget to accommodate funds to help in the management of Covid-19 but now the MCAs have become a stumbling block by introducing amendments in the budget to allocate more funds to themselves.” Said the governor adding that playing politics with the budget was detrimental to service delivery to the people of Kirinyaga.

She cited that the reallocation of money from the hospital will hamper the delivery of universal health care to the county residents while the removal of Ksh 30 million for fuel that was supposed to be used in the county roads equipment will also have adverse effect on the ongoing in-house road rehabilitation program.

The Governor has called on the members of the county assembly to put aside their selfish interests and consider what is beneficial to the residents.

“Even though the county does not currently have Covid-19 cases, delay in passing the budget may put many lives at risk should there be an outbreak of the disease in the county. The Covid-19 budget was supposed to expand the county’s capacity to handle the pandemic by procuring some of the medical and non-medical equipment required as well as expansion of Covid-19 isolation facilities among other interventions.” She said.

At the same time the governor has termed as unfortunate the extent to which the assembly is going to frustrate the executive, citing the ongoing threats to impeach some members of the county executive committee.

 

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

KTN’s Ben Kitili recounts how he was hit and injured by car while cycling – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

KTN news anchor Ben Kitili was involved in an accident two weeks ago while cycling.

Kitili was hit by a car and sustained bruises on his arm but managed to get back up on his bicycle.

According to a post he shared on social media, the journalist urged car drivers to be more mindful of the cyclists.

“Nairobi is one of the most hazardous cities for cyclists. This happened to me two weeks ago – knocked off the road by an idiot of a driver. Non-motorised transport infrastructure is needed. Good manners too. To borrow a quote, barabara is ya mama yako bwana,” he wrote.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Kitili/status/1268112892068536326?s=20

The Nairobi Metropolitan Service (NMS) has started works to develop efficient non-motorised transport, recarpeting roads as well as improving drainage and streetlights.

Non-motorised transport work is ongoing on Kenyatta Avenue and Wabera Street in the city centre.

The non-motorised transport will also include the building of other components of the roads.

Phase one of the project follows River Nairobi from Donholm to Westlands.

Loading...

The second phase joins phase one in the city centre to Lang’ata via Railway city while phase three is from the CBD to Roysambu through Ngara.

According to NMS Transport, Roads and Public Works director Michael Ochieng, the project will improve walking spaces and encourage Nairobi residents to start walking or using bicycles.

“The journey to change the state of roads in the city centre has begun. We target more than 100 kilometres of non-motorised transport in just one year,” Mr Ochieng said.

According to data by the National Transport and Safety Authority, motorcycles retain an infamous record as the highest rising cause of death on Kenyan roads.

By the end of March this year, 49 cyclists died on the road; a staggering 459 motorcyclists died in 2019 compared to 365 the year before.

According to WHO, between 3,000 and 13,000 Kenyans lose their lives in road traffic crashes every year.

The majority of these victims are motorcyclists and pedestrians.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Four cops charged in Floyd death, one with 2nd-degree murder » Capital News

Published

on

Loading...

The death of George Floyd has sparked nationwide protests, including this one in Washington near the US Capitol on June 3, 2020 © AFP / MANDEL NGAN

Minneapolis, United States, Jun 3 – The white Minneapolis police officer who kneeled on the neck of a black man who later died will now be charged with second-degree murder, and his three colleagues will also face charges, court documents revealed Wednesday.

The May 25 death of George Floyd — who had been accused of trying to buy cigarettes with a counterfeit bill — has ignited protests across the United States over systemic racism and police brutality.

“Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison is increasing charges against Derek Chauvin to 2nd degree in George Floyd’s murder and also charging other 3 officers,” US Senator Amy Klobuchar tweeted.

“This is another important step for justice.”

Loading...

Chauvin was charged last week with third-degree murder, which is roughly akin to manslaughter. A charge of second-degree murder does not suggest premeditation but carries stiffer penalties.

Court documents show the second-degree murder charge was added to the prior charges.

The three other officers have been charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder, documents show.

In a statement, Floyd’s family described news of the new charges as a “bittersweet moment.”

“This is a significant step forward on the road to justice, and we are gratified that this important action came before George Floyd’s body was laid to rest,” the statement said.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The statement, issued by family attorney Ben Crump, also said that Ellison would consider elevating the charge to premeditated murder “if the evidence supports it.”

The family urged protesters to “raise their voices for change in peaceful ways.”

Tens of thousands of demonstrators defied night-time curfews Tuesday in several US cities.

But the demonstrations were largely peaceful, and while there were tense standoffs with law enforcement, the protests did not feature the looting or clashes with police of previous days.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending