Connect with us

Sports

Roach eager for Pacquiao-Mayweather rematch

Published

on

Loading...

Manny Pacquiao and trainer Freddie Roach workout in Hollywood on Wednesday ahead of the July 20 fight with Keith Thurman in Las Vegas © AFP / FREDERIC J. BROWN

LOS ANGELES, United States, Jul 11Trainer Freddie Roach said Wednesday he hopes Manny Pacquiao can set up a rematch with Floyd Mayweather after the Filipino legend takes care of business against Keith Thurman in Las Vegas this month.

Roach told reporters he was still bothered by Pacquiao’s defeat to Mayweather in their 2015 clash, which was hyped as the “Fight of the Century” but ultimately left boxing fans disappointed.

Pacquiao later said a shoulder injury had hampered his performance during the 12-round defeat, while Mayweather headed into retirement later that year with an unblemished record.

Pacquiao, who retired briefly in 2016 only to return later that year, has continued to fight on, however.

The 40-year-old Filipino will attempt to capture the World Boxing Association welterweight crown on July 20 when he faces unbeaten American champion Keith Thurman at the MGM Grand.

Roach, Pacquiao’s trainer for the bulk of his two-decade career, hopes that a victory over Thurman could pave the way for a rematch with Mayweather if he can be persuaded to step into the ring once more.

“Hopefully we can get Mayweather to come to the table,” Roach told reporters at his Wild Card gym on Wednesday. “I would like us to have one more crack at him.”

“We didn’t fight a great fight that night. Manny’s shoulder didn’t help at all. He’s had surgery since then, he’s 100 percent now.

Loading...

“I would like us to fight Mayweather again because I didn’t like the way we performed. I was disappointed in myself.”

Pacquiao, meanwhile, has been more circumspect about the prospect of a rematch, insisting he is not thinking of Mayweather as long as he remains retired.

“Floyd is retired. I am only looking at active fighters. Floyd is not active anymore,” Pacquiao said. “Right now I’m only thinking about Thurman.”

Speaking at his training camp in Florida on Wednesday, the hard-hitting Thurman (29-0, 22 KOs) confidently predicted a quick knockout over Pacquiao.

“My prediction? Less than six rounds,” Thurman said. “I would love to be 30-0 with 23 knockouts.

“We’ve got 22 and we’ve held those 22 knockouts for a little too long. It’s time to get one more knockout.”

Roach, however, believes Pacquiao’s superior conditioning and handspeed will give him an advantage as the fight goes on.

“Thurman starts quickly but he usually fades,” Roach said. “I like Pacquiao in the later rounds because that’s where he usually excels. I don’t like making predictions but I don’t see this one going the distance.”

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Stars youngster Marcelo set to be out for six weeks after breaking ankle

Published

on

Loading...

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 29 – Harambee Stars left back Erick ‘Marcelo’Ouma will be out for up to six weeks after suffering an ankle fracture in training with his Swedish club AIK on Friday morning and is set to undergo surgery on Saturday.

Ouma’s AIK were into the second month of full training as they geared up for the start of the Swedish top tier, and Marcelo was looking forward to his first top flight match after joining the side from third tier club Vassalund.

“It’s a setback but I believe I will be back stronger. I had really looked forward to getting my season started at AIK. This is not a heart-breaking moment for me but a moment to build my mental strength,” Marcelo told Capital Sport from his Stockholm base.

Harambee Stars defender Erick ‘Marcelo’ Ouma during a previous training session. PHOTO/AIK

Loading...

He added; “I am looking forward to the recovery period and rehabilitation. Hopefully I’ll be back on the pitch soon. I had built up very well in pre-season but now it’s time to face another challenge that is inevitable for us as sportsmen.”

The strong-willed Ouma had joined AIK after an impressive two seasons with Vasalund and his explosive performances at left back for both club and country earned him a contract with the high flying top flight side.

In a previous interview with Capital Sport, Marcelo had expressed his excitement getting back to the pitch after the stoppage occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sweden was among the first European countries to get back to full training after world football was brought to a halt by the virus.

Despite the set-back, Ouma states his determination and dreams with AIK will not be shattered and he will work on them upon return.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

(Visited 6 times, 6 visits today)

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

H.Stars Ace ‘Marcelo’ out for six weeks after breaking ankle

Published

on

Loading...

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 29 – Harambee Stars left-back Erick ‘Marcelo’ Ouma will be out for up to six weeks after suffering an ankle fracture in training with his Swedish club AIK on Friday morning.

The defender is set to undergo surgery on Saturday.

Ouma’s AIK were into the second month of full training as they geared up for the start of the Swedish top tier, and Ouma was looking forward to his first top flight match after joining the side from third tier club Vassalund.

“It’s a setback but I believe I will be back stronger. I had really looked forward to getting my season started at AIK. This is not a heart-breaking moment for me but a moment to build my mental strength,” Ouma told Capital Sport from his Stockholm base.

Harambee Stars defender Erick ‘Marcelo’ Ouma during a previous training session. PHOTO/AIK

Loading...

He added; “I am looking forward to the recovery period and rehabilitation. Hopefully I’ll be back on the pitch soon. I had built up very well in pre-season but now it’s time to face another challenge that is inevitable for us as sportsmen.”

The strong-willed Ouma had joined AIK after an impressive two seasons with Vasalund and his explosive performances at left-back for both club and country earned him a contract with the high flying top flight side.

In a previous interview with Capital Sport, Marcelo had expressed his excitement getting back to the pitch after the stoppage occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sweden was among the first European countries to get back to full training after world football was brought to a halt by the virus.

Despite the set-back, Ouma states his determination and dreams with AIK will not be shattered and he will work on them upon return.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

(Visited 20 times, 20 visits today)

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Why police want Liverpool title clincher at neutral venue

Published

on

Loading...

By AFP

LONDON

British Police want at least six Premier League matches and any Liverpool title clincher to be played at neutral venues when the season resumes in a bid to avoid supporters gathering outside stadiums.

Premier League chiefs have set June 17 as the date for the top flight to restart following the coronavirus delay.

They hope to play the majority of the matches behind closed doors on a home and away basis at clubs’ usual stadiums.

However, police are concerned about the issue of hardcore fans potentially flouting social distancing rules by congregating wherever their team play.

With Liverpool two wins away from clinching their first English title for 30 years and other relegation and European qualification issues to be decided in the remaining 92 fixtures, there is potential for police resources to be stretched if matches draw crowds outside grounds.

Police bosses have spoken to the Premier League about games they consider especially tricky and the matches they requested to take place at neutral grounds are Manchester City v Liverpool, Manchester City v Newcastle, Manchester United v Sheffield United, Newcastle v Liverpool and Everton v Liverpool.

Loading...

“Our discussions with the Premier League throughout this process have been positive, with a shared focus on the priority of public health,” said Deputy Chief Constable Mark Roberts of South Yorkshire Police.

CONSENSUS

“As such we have reached a consensus that balances the needs of football, while also minimising the demand on policing.

“The majority of remaining matches will be played, at home and away as scheduled, with a small number of fixtures taking place at neutral venues, which, contrary to some reports, have yet to be agreed.”

Liverpool could even clinch the title as early as the first weekend of the restart if Manchester City lose to Arsenal and they beat Everton.

The police statement added that “the game in which Liverpool could secure the league title” should also be moved, although that may end up needing to be more than one match if the Reds did not clinch it at the first attempt.

“The Premier League’s ambition is to complete all of our remaining fixtures this season home and away, where possible,” a Premier League statement said.

“We are working with our clubs to ensure risks are assessed and minimised, while co-operating with the police at a local and national level.

“Discussions with the National Police Chiefs’ Council and UK Football Policing Unit have been positive and are continuing. We are prepared for all outcomes and have a neutral venue contingency.”

NEUTRAL VENUES

There had been complaints from some clubs towards the bottom of the table, including Brighton, about the impact of playing at neutral venues on sporting integrity.

Brighton chief executive Paul Barber is confident his relegation-threatened side’s matches will not be at neutral venues.

“Obviously the majority of home games we expect to be at home for everybody,” he said.

“And I understand there are some small number of games where the police do need to look more carefully at the operations for those games.

“But we don’t know which games they are, we haven’t been given that information so, as far as we’re aware of this side, it doesn’t affect our club.”

Individual police forces were asked which games concerned them and clubs will hold further discussions on whether to proceed with the season on this basis when they meet again on June 4.

It has not yet been decided where neutral games would be staged.

“The views and agreement of forces which host Premier League clubs have been sought and where there were concerns, the Premier League has been supportive in providing flexibility in arranging alternative venues where requested,” Roberts said.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending