Connect with us

General

Parliamentary sittings put off after Uhuru’s movement order

Published

on

Loading...
MARTIN KINYANJUI

By MARTIN KINYANJUI
More by this Author

Sittings of the National Assembly and the Senate which had been scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday have been postponed indefinitely, Speakers Justin Muturi and Ken Lusaka have announced.

In a statement issued Monday afternoon, the Speakers said the move was as a result of a directive announced by President Uhuru Kenyatta banning movement in and out of the Nairobi Metropolitan in a bid to contain the spread of the coronavirus (Civid-19) pandemic.

Kenya has so far recorded a total of 158 coronavirus cases with 82 per cent of them being reported in Nairobi and another 14 per cent in the counties of Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa.

It is for this reason that the President announced the cessation of all movement by road, rail or air in and out of the Nairobi Metropolitan area and the three Coast counties.

Advertisement

Loading...

This has in turn affected the sitting of the Senate scheduled for Tuesday April 7 and that of the National Assembly scheduled for Wednesday.

“In the circumstances, it has therefore become necessary to inform you that it will not be possible to hold the Sittings of the Houses of Parliament as scheduled, until further notice.

“The leadership of the two Houses is consulting and shall advise on the means by which urgent business that is before the Houses of Parliament shall be transacted remotely and members shall shortly be advised on this,” the Speakers said in their statement.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Our brand new bus is the coolest by any KPL team, Kakamega Homeboyz brag – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Kenyan Premier League side Kakamega Homeboyz are the proud owners of a new team bus which they’ve quickly branded the coolest bus in the league.

Club chairman Cleophas Shimanyula has revealed that the brand new bus was bought at a whooping Sh18 million.

BRAGGING RIGHTS

“There is no team in KPL which has ever acquired that kind of bus. Not even Wazito, who are always bragging that they have an exceptional bus. Sitting on it is like travelling in a tour vehicles. You can’t feel any movement in your seat even if it is on a rough road,” Shimanyula told Nairobi News.

Shimanyula added that the bus was just a motivational present for the team and more goodies are on the way if the team wins this season’s KPL title whose fate is to be known next week.

The quoted cost of the bus is almost four times the prize money reserved for the league winners at the end of every season.

Kakamega Homeboyz, who are sponsored by the County Government of Kakamega, are second on the log with 47 points, seven less than league leaders Gor Mahia.

EXPENSIVE BUS

Loading...

Apart from Homeboyz and Wazito, owned by tycoon Ricardo Bodoer, AFC Leopards also own an expensive team bus.

Leopards acquired a 51-seater bus from Chinese manufacturing firm Golden Dragon in mid-March.

The bus was gifted to Ingwe through international fundraising expert, Nelson Sechere, who is a consultant with African Capacity Building Foundation – a specialised agency for African Union.

Juma Kwayera, who was part of the team that rescued AFC Leopards from relegation in 2009 and 2012, was instrumental in pushing for a bus for the team.

Reigning champions Gor Mahia also own abus which is currently being renovated at a Nairobi garage at a cost of Sh250,000.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Kenyans to apply for civil marriages online – KBC

Published

on

Loading...

The Marriage Registry at the Office of the Attorney General has initiated online services to allow marriages to continue.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

Speaking to the media at Sheria House, Chief Administrative Secretary Ms. Winne Guchu noted that before the Covid-19 pandemic hit the country, the registry had a total of 815 applications for civil marriages which could not be processed.

She pointed out that 793 out the 815 applications have expired and only 22 were within the 90 days’ notice required by law.

“Going forward, all applications will be handled online and applicants will only visit the registry ones all application procedures and payments are completed,” said Ms. Guchu.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Loading...

She clarified that the marriage registry would start with the pending 793 applications before allowing new applicants on the system.

She also noted that where payments had been done, no further charges would be imposed on applicants.

On the issue of numbers who attend the marriage ceremony, Ms. Guchu stressed that only four people would be allowed in the marriage room.

“The four people attending the ceremony will include the couple wedding, one witness and the registrar of marriages,” said Ms. Guchu. The restriction is meant to adhere to social distancing as per the Ministry of Health guidelines.

In anticipation of large numbers of applications expected due to backlog, Ms. Guchu hinted at the possibility of marriages being conducted in open spaces as opposed to the Sheria house alone. She pointed out that this would allow more marriages to be conducted in a shorter period.

As for Christian, Hindu and Islamic marriages, application procedures would be online and they would only visit the registry for certification.

By the time marriages were stopped, there were 1,758 such applications pending which would now go to the online platform.

In attendance was the Registrar General at the office of the AG and Department of Justice Ms. Mary Njuya.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Kenyans stranded in India to arrive Friday – VIDEO

Published

on

Loading...

By JAMES KARIUKI

India is Friday expected to start flying back hundreds of Kenyans who have been stranded in its cities following grounding of passenger planes in the awake of Covid-19 pandemic.

A statement its Nairobi-based High Commission released said the operation dubbed Vande Bharat Mission will bring home Kenyans who had gone to India, including students attending short-term courses.

The mission will also see 234 Indian nationals who are “stranded” in Kenya repatriated by Air India via Mumbai International Airport from where they can get to their villages by air, train or bus, the statement added.

“The government of India, under its Vande Bharat Mission, has reached out to stranded and distressed Indians in different parts of the world to facilitate their return.

“In its first phase 13,750 Indians have returned to India from 12 countries in 64 repatriation flights,” it said.

Loading...

The Vande Bharat Mission II that comes months after India restored Nairobi-Mumbai direct flights expects to fly home 59,000 Indians via planned 311 flights from Africa, the Middle East, CIS, Europe, East Europe, South East Asia, South Asia, East Asia, UK, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, US and Canada.

Advertisement

The mission will run until June 17.

India remains a favourite destination for Kenyan students, traders and patients who fly to Asian sub-continent for specialised treatment, spending at least Sh10 billion annually.

Thanks to the colonial railway construction that was largely done by Indian workers, Kenya is home to about one million Kenyans of Indian origin that control major stakes in key sectors including manufacturing, banking, insurance, hospitality and vehicle assembly.

Last year, Kenya hosted 102,600 tourists from India visiting Kenya for leisure and business.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending