Connect with us

Sports

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer felt protest by Manchester United fans went ‘too far’

Published

on

Loading...

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom, May 6 – Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reiterated the need for supporters to be heard but the Manchester United manager felt the anti-Glazer protest that forced Sunday’s clash against Liverpool to be called off went “too far”.

Having controversially taken over at United in 2005, the already despised owners’ botched attempt to join the breakaway European Super League brought anger against them to a new level.

Thousands of protestors descended on Old Trafford demanding change at an anti-Glazer protest before Sunday’s high-profile Premier League match versus rivals Liverpool.

A few hundred of those got into the stadium and invaded the pitch during the protest, while another group made their frustrations clear at the Lowry, the team hotel in the city centre.

“It was a difficult day for us,” Solskjaer said as he spoke for the first time since the postponement.

“Of course we wanted to play, we wanted to beat Liverpool for the fans because our job has to be getting good performances, good results on the pitch.

“That’s the players’ focus, that’s my focus but, as I said before the game, we have to listen.

“We have to hear the fans’ voice. It’s everyone’s right to protest, it has to be in a civilised manner, though. It has to be in a peaceful manner.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“Unfortunately, when you break in, when police officers get injured, scarred for life, that’s too far. That’s one step too far.

“When it gets out of hand like this, it’s a police matter. It’s not about showing your opinions anymore.”

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said on Tuesday that six officers were injured as flares were let off and bottles thrown, with one sustaining a fractured eye socket and another a facial wound.

A man has been charged for his behaviour outside the Lowry Hotel and the force spokesman said the incident had been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct to “ensure complete transparency and independence”.

Loading...

“The right to protest peacefully, everyone’s got a human right to be heard and a voice to be heard, but it has to be peaceful,” Solskjaer said.

“When you step out of line, when you break into, on to the pitch and into dressing rooms, I think that’s one step too far and when it becomes police matters that’s not nice.

“It’s not been helped by certain individuals. I have to say that’s another part of it. But that’s your end of it (in the media).”

Sunday’s postponement is far from ideal preparation for Thursday’s shot at reaching the Europa League final after stumbling at the semi-final stage on four separate occasions over the last two seasons.

United head to Roma boasting a 6-2 lead from the first leg and Solskjaer will maintain a “laser focus on the football” amid talk of more protests from understandably angered fans.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“My job, my focus has to be on the results, but you don’t really need to be a rocket scientist to see that we have challenges and frictions and things that have to be dealt with within communication,” the Norwegian said as he looks to reach his first final as United manager.

“Other individuals than me of course have started already, discussing with the fans, communicating with fan groups, which is going to be massive for us going forward.

“I think the players have done terrific to be where they are.

“I would be sad if all the good work the players have done is disrupted, so our focus is on playing well and getting through to a final now.”

United co-chairman Joel Glazer apologised for the Super League debacle saying “we got it wrong” but brother Avram kept schtum when door-stepped by Sky News on Tuesday.

The Glazers were conspicuous by their absence at the emergency United fans forum held on Friday, when departing executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward apologised for the Super League move.

Asked whether the owners should speak directly to supporters, Solskjaer said: “I’ve been communicating with the owners. I’ve got an apology, personally.

“They’ve apologised to the fans that this came out. I know that there is communication between other individuals than me and the fans.

“As I said, it’s a difficult position to be in for me, this, because I’ve got to focus on the football.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“I’ve always had a good relationship and they listen to me and they do listen to the fans and I’m sure there’ll be better communication coming.”

Loading...

Sports

Sewage Menace in Pipeline, Residents Cry For Help

Published

on

Loading...


Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

By Milo George

Residents of Pipeline Transami area are decrying poor drainage system that has caused sewage water to overflow in their area of residence.

The residents claim that the overflowing sewage is not only putting their lives at risk but also causing air pollution.

They have called on Nairobi Metropolitan Services and Nairobi City Water and Sewage Company to come on board and expand the sewer lines before more areas are flooded with raw human wastes coming from the blocked pipes.
“We want Major Badi and our leaders to resolve this menace immediately. It’s terrible many have been forced to shift their businesses because of the foul smell,” they said.
Pastor Joe Ndivoh of Word Evangelistic Explosion Ministries says that they have been forced to call off the Sunday School Service to protect the children from the smelly sewage.
‘‘We now fear that if prompt action is not taken then we will have a bigger health problem than this because we fear there could be an outbreak of water-borne disease anytime,’’ Pastor Ndivoh added.


Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Loading...

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Solberg Jnr replaces Pierre-Louis for WRC Safari – KBC

Published

on

Loading...

Hyundai Motorsport World Rally Team has made a change to it’s WRC2 team for Safari replacing Pierre-Louis Loubet with 19 year old Oliver Solberg.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

The change of crew hands young Solberg an opportunity to resume his family dream on the fabled Safari which was first held from 27 May to 1 June 1953 as the East African Coronation Safari in Kenya, Uganda and Tanganyika as a celebration of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

Solberg Senior finished the WRC Safari 5th on the 1999 and 2000 editions driving a Ford Focus and navigated by his eventual Championship- winning navigator Phil Mills. In 200 and 2002, Petter retired on Safari after he lost a wheel and suffering engine gremlins on both occasions.

Oliver was forced to withdraw from last week’s Rally Italia Sardegna after his father, 2003 WRC champion Petter Solberg, tested positive for coronavirus.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Oliver was gearing up for his second top flight World Rally Championship outing with Hyundai at last weekend’s s Italian event.

However having been in contact with his father, Oliver was compelled to remain in quarantine in a hotel in Porto for 14 days as per the FIA Appendix S regulations.

The FIA’s Appendix S COVID-19 protocol and national government regulations offer clear quarantine instructions for those in close contact.

“You can imagine, I am more than disappointed by this news. I am a little bit devastated,” The 19-year-old Solberg told www.motorsport.com last week.

Loading...

WRC Safari Rally Event Secretary Helen Shiri confirmed Oliver’s Safari participation saying: “Hyundai WRC 2 team car number 7 has changed the crew from Driver Pierre-Lous and co-driver Florian Haut-labourdette both from France to Oliver Solberg (Swedish) and  Co-driver Aaron Johnston (Ireland). The car, a Hyundai i20 Coupé, remains intact.”

Meanwhile, it’s been a meteoric rise for the son of world champion Petter.

Less than two years after his maiden rally in a four-wheel drive car, the teenage sensation was competing at the WRC’s top level.

Aged just 17, Oliver became the youngest winner of a European Championship rally in 2019.

With a father and a mother from a well-known Swedish motorsport family and a former Production WRC competitor in her own right, there was a sense of inevitability that a career at the wheel was inevitable for Oliver Solberg. 

Solberg’s early years were spent racing in crosskarts.

In 2012 he won the Norwegian Championship before a step up to a higher class brought consecutive title wins in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

In 2019 Solberg stepped into R5 machinery, driving a Volkswagen Polo GTI R5 in the Latvian/Estonian/Baltic Rally Championship. He took to the increased power immediately and racked up five class wins on his way to the championship title.

He also followed in his father’s footsteps to join Subaru Motorsports USA. He drove a latest-spec Impreza STI, winning three of the six rounds

After making his WRC debut at the 2019 Rally GB, Solberg stepped into a full WRC campaign in 2020, driving his own Polo R5 alongside a partial campaign with Skoda Motorsport.

The WRC returns to Africa for the first time since 2002. The Safari of old has evolved to fit the modern-day WRC, but its character remains with challenging closed dirt roads, stunning picture-postcard scenery and exotic wildlife.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Three more suspected robbers arrested along Southern by-pass – KBC

Published

on

Loading...

Three more suspects have been arrested in connection with the recent spate of robberies targeting motorists along the Southern by-pass.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

The three were arrested in Kibra by detectives based in Langata.

Their arrest follows a detailed analysis and investigations of the robberies, with detectives employing cyber and forensic analysis techniques to identify the beneficiaries of the crimes.

Boniface Winjira Unganyi, the proprietor of Basement Crew mobile shop within Lindi in Kibra, was arrested as the key suspect after a total of 102 mobile phones suspected to have been stolen from victims were recovered from his shop.

Loading...

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Also arrested were 35-year-old Alex Mboya, who was found in possession of a victim’s phone, and a 16-year-old minor, studying at a secondary school in Langata.

Five other suspects have been arraigned in recent weeks in connection with the violent robberies.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

Kenyan Tribune