More than 2,214 people have lost their lives in road accidents since the beginning of the year, according to the statistics from the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA).
Addressing the media at a Naivasha hotel, on Wednesday, the NTSA director Road Safety, Ms Njeri Waithaka said cases of road accidents had increased by around seven per cent compared to the same period, last year.
She said the road safety agency was alarmed by the increase, attributing the high number to various factors, including reckless driving.
“Majority of these clashes occur at night, with multiple fatalities recorded from single accident,” said Ms Waithaka.
She regretted the high number of deaths from single accident, citing the school bus tragedy at Mwingi and the Kimende accident that claimed 12 lives.
The NTSA director said the agency, in partnership with other road safety agencies, were working on a plan to reduce the number of accidents witnessed in the country.
She said the highest number of fatality casualties were motorcyclists and pedestrians.
Ms Waithaka told participants the most dangerous road according to the latest data was the Nairobi-Nakuru Highway and the Salgaa stretch.
“However, the entire northern corridor remained one of the riskiest roads in the country,” said Ms Waithaka.
She, at the same time, said a total of 12 Saccos had been suspended with five deregistered for flouting the various traffic regulations.
The NTSA director said the agency had repeatedly engaged with the management of the affected Saccos with little success.
The Association of Matatu operators chairman, Jimal Ibrahim Hassan said the number of Saccos operating in Nairobi stood at 257.
He called on the NTSA to vet all the Saccos to ensure adherence, blaming the congestion in Nairobi to the high number of licensed Saccos.
“We are ready to work with the relevant agencies to ensure the move to decongest Nairobi city centre is successful,” he said.
He was among the stakeholders attending a three day meeting in Naivasha to deliberate on ways of decongesting Nairobi.
Public officers above 58 years and with pre-existing conditions told to work from home: The Standard
In a document from Head of Public Service, Joseph Kinyua new measure have been outlined to curb the bulging spread of covid-19. Public officers with underlying health conditions and those who are over 58 years -a group that experts have classified as most vulnerable to the virus will be required to execute their duties from home.
“All State and public officers with pre-existing medical conditions and/or aged 58 years and above serving in CSG5 (job group ‘S’) and below or their equivalents should forthwith work from home,” read the document,” read the document.
To ensure that those working from home deliver, the Public Service directs that there be clear assignments and targets tasked for the period designated and a clear reporting line to monitor and review work done.
SEE ALSO: Thinking inside the cardboard box for post-lockdown work stations
Others measures outlined in the document include the provision of personal protective equipment to staff, provision of sanitizers and access to washing facilities fitted with soap and water, temperature checks for all staff and clients entering public offices regular fumigation of office premises and vehicles and minimizing of visitors except by prior appointments.
Officers who contract the virus and come back to work after quarantine or isolation period will be required to follow specific directives such as obtaining clearance from the isolation facility certified by the designated persons indicating that the public officer is free and safe from Covid-19. The officer will also be required to stay away from duty station for a period of seven days after the date of medical certification.
“The period a public officer spends in quarantine or isolation due to Covid-19, shall be treated as sick leave and shall be subject to the Provisions of the Human Resource Policy and procedures Manual for the Public Service(May,2016),” read the document.
The service has also made discrimination and stigmatization an offence and has guaranteed those affected with the virus to receive adequate access to mental health and psychosocial supported offered by the government.
The new directives targeting the Public Services come at a time when Kenyans have increasingly shown lack of strict observance of the issued guidelines even as the number of positive Covid-19 cases skyrocket to 13,771 and leaving 238 dead as of today.
SEE ALSO: Working from home could be blessing in disguise for persons with disabilities
Principal Secretaries/ Accounting Officers will be personally responsible for effective enforcement and compliance of the current guidelines and any future directives issued to mitigate the spread of Covid-19.
Uhuru convenes summit to review rising Covid-19 cases: The Standard
The session will among other things review the efficacy of the containment measures in place and review the impact of the phased easing of the restrictions, State House said in a statement.
This story is being updated.
SEE ALSO: Sakaja resigns from Covid-19 Senate committee, in court tomorrow
Drastic life changes affecting mental health
Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153