Connect with us

Sports

Ngara Health Centre Shut Over Coronvirus Scare

Published

on

Loading...

Ngara Health Centre will remain shut until further notice following contraction of coronavirus by one of the clinical officers.

According to health CEC Nairobi city county Hitan Majevdia the county has taken serious measures to ensure that all staff that came into contact wit the Coronavirus suspect are all quarantined and that the facility is fully fumigated.

‘‘We have  sealed it, for now, we want to make sure that the place is fumigated and cured fumigation is done daily, once open we shall also ensure any patient going there is screened and tested for Covid-19 symptoms before  granted access.’’ He said.

He has also dismissed claims that the facility does not have PPIs kits saying that they have been supplied in all health centres to ensure no medical staff is at risk.

Meanwhile, the county is embarking on slum fumigation targeting densely populated areas.

‘‘We have started moving into populated  slums yesterday we were in Dagoreti and Kangemi but we want wananchi  to co-operate with  us during this exercise.’’

 

if (document.getElementById(id)) return; js = document.createElement('script'); js.id = id; js.src = "https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=522529577798072&version=v2.0"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);

window.fbAsyncInit = function () { FB.init({ appId: '522529577798072', xfbml: true, version: 'v2.0' }); FB.Event.subscribe('comment.create', function (comment_data) { console.log(comment_data); update_comments_count(); }); FB.Event.subscribe('comment.remove', function (comment_data) { update_comments_count(); });

function update_comments_count(comment_data, comment_action) { jQuery.ajax({ type: 'GET', dataType: 'json', url: 'https://www.ghettoradio.co.ke/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php', data: { action: 'clear_better_facebook_comments', post_id: '68710' }, success: function (data) { // todo sync comments count here! data have the counts }, error: function (i, b) { // todo } } ) }; };

appendFbScript(); }

appendFbScript();

})();

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Sports Ministry gives Sh10,000 Each to 231 Paralympians in COVID-19 Stimulus

Published

on

Loading...

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 29 – The Ministry of Sports through the Sports Fund has continued to release funds to cushion sportsmen struggling during the current COVID1-9 pandemic, and Paralympians are next in line to receive their share.

Just like Kenyan Premier League players from 12 clubs who each received Sh10,000 for two months, a list of 231 Paralympians has been finalized by the Ministry and they are set to receive the same amount.

This is part of a further Sh20mn budget approved to the Ministry from the Sports Fund.

Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed said she was working on five different drafted lists of sportsmen who will be assisted during this period. She has also noted that more national teams will come under consideration.

“We are also releasing the same amount of money to our most vulnerable National Team athletes in all our active Sports Federations for the same period of time. This is to enable them continue training for upcoming global events,” CS Amina told Capital Sports.

“All our national teams in all our active federations which were active in the current financial year are part of our program; those that were preparing for Olympics or any other international events across the globe,” she noted.

Loading...

Adding; “We decided to give something small to every athlete in need. We thank all the federations for the continued corporation in identification and verification of data of these athletes.”

So far, the Sports Fund has released Sh50mn to the Ministry and CS Amina further said they will continue assessing the situation so as to cushion athletes who have entirely lost their income.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

More sports disciplines are also set to benefit from the program, the priority being national teams.

“This exercise is going to continue over the weekend. The second installment will be smoother because we will have captured all the telephone numbers  in our system,” CS Amina promised.

(Visited 22 times, 22 visits today)

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Federer tops list of world’s highest-paid athletes

Published

on

Loading...

NEW YORK, United States, May 29 – Roger Federer topped the 2020 Forbes magazine list of highest-paid global athletes announced Friday, leading the lineup for the first time with pre-tax earnings of $106.3 million (95.5 million euros).

The Swiss tennis legend, a men’s record 20-time Grand Slam singles champion, becomes the first player from his sport atop the annual list since its 1990 debut, rising from fifth in 2019.

Federer’s haul over the past 12 months included $100 million from appearances fees and endorsement deals plus $6.3 million in prize money. His previous best showing was second in 2013.

“His brand is pristine, which is why those that can afford to align with him clamor to do so,” University of Southern California sports business professor David Carter told the magazine.

The ongoing coronavirus pandemic that shut down sports worldwide caused the first decline since 2016 in the total income of the world’s 100 top-paid athletes, a 9% dip from last year to $3.6 billion. Another plunge is expected next year from the shutdown.

Portuguese football star Cristiano Ronaldo was second on the list at $105 million, $60 million in salary and $45 million from endorsements, with Argentine football hero Lionel Messi third on $104 million, $32 million of that from sponsorship deals.

Messi and Ronaldo, who have traded the top spot three of the past four years, saw their combined incomes dip $28 million from last year due to salary cuts when European clubs halted play in March.

Brazilian footballer Neymar was fourth overall on $95.5 million, $25 million from endorsements, while NBA star LeBron James of the Los Angeles Lakers was fifth on $88.2 million, $60 million of that from endorsements.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

NBA star Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors was sixth on $74.4 million with former teammate Kevin Durant next on $63.9 million.

Tiger Woods, the reigning Masters champion and a 15-time major winner, was eighth on the list and tops among golfers at $62.3 million, all but $2.3 million from sponsor deals.

Woods topped the Forbes list a record 12 times before an infidelity scandal helped end his run.

Loading...

Two NFL quarterbacks rounded out the top 10 with Kirk Cousins ninth at $60.5 million and Carson Wentz 10th on $59.1 million.

The top 100 featured athletes from 21 nations and 10 sports. More NBA players made the list than those from any other sport at 35, but 31 NFL players made the cut, up from 19 from last year, and they pulled down the most money of any league, aided by finishing the season before the deadly virus outbreak.

Major League Baseball, whose start to the 2020 campaign was postponed by the virus outbreak, put only one player on the list after 15 in 2019. The lone MLB player was Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw, who was 57th at $27.3 million with only $750,000 from endorsements.

Spanish footballer Carlos Ramos, the Real Madrid captain, was last among the 100 on $21.8 million, including $3 million in endorsements.

Two women, tennis stars Naomi Osaka of Japan and Serena Williams of the United States, made the list, the most females on it since 2016. Osaka ranked 29th overall on $37.4 million ($34 million in endorsements), four spots ahead of Williams with $36 million ($32 million in endorsements).

– Federer pitchman magic –

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Federer, 38, boasts the biggest sponsorship lineup among active athletes with Moet & Chandon and Barilla among those paying from $3 to $30 million to link him with their brands.

Federer, who spent a record 310 weeks as world number one, reached 18 of 19 Grand Slam finals from 2005-2010.

Only Woods has joined Federer in making $100 million in sponsor deals in a single year.

Federer’s newest deal is with Swiss running shoe On, where he is an investor, but several sponsors have been with him for more than a decade, including Rolex, Credit Suisse, Mercedes-Benz and Wilson.

A split with Nike in 2018 opened Federer to Japanese apparel brand Uniqlo’s 10-year deal worth $300 million.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Coe urges kids to take up sport to battle virus

Published

on

Loading...

By AFP

PRAGUE

World Athletics chief Sebastian Coe called on children to take up sports to combat “shocks” like the coronavirus as his sport was bracing for a restart at a Czech event next week.

On Monday, “Back on Track” will bring together professional athletes, including two-time Olympic javelin champion and world record holder Barbora Spotakova, alongside kids at 173 venues across the Czech Republic,

“I absolutely support this,” Coe told Czech reporters in a video press conference. “This is the first big initiative that has come to fruition from a member federation,”

“We can work with governments to re-establish school sport, which is the bedrock of everything that we know, particularly as we come into a post-pandemic world,” the 63-year-old former runner said.

“Those communities that are fitter and healthier and stronger and have good immune systems are those communities that are going to be better positioned in future to deal with these shocks.”

Loading...

Coe, a former British Member of Parliament, said “political will” was necessary.

“We need to really have politicians properly understanding the linkage between what we’ve all been through in the last few months and healthy communities,” he said.

The Czech event will capitalise on an easing of the restrictive measures adopted by the government to stem the virus spread in mid-March.

At present, sports events with up to 300 people are allowed across the Czech Republic, an EU member with more than 9,000 confirmed Covid-19 cases and more than 300 deaths.

“In the fullness of time I’m hoping that we’re in a safe environment, the pandemic has been curtailed or contained, and there may be need for social distancing going forward, but at least we can have fans in the stadium,” said Coe.

“There will come a point where of course you take the guidance of your medical and your scientific teams but the sport also has to make a judgment about what is in the best interests of the sport as well.”

“We need to be guided but we can’t be dictated to by science or just simply those medical circumstances,” added the double Olympic champion on 1,500 metres.

International athletics are due to resume with the Diamond League meeting, transformed by social distancing rules into an event the organisers are marketing as the “Impossible Game”, in Oslo on June 11. Many other events have been postponed, such the Tokyo Olympics, or cancelled altogether, like the 2020 European Championships.

“I hope we can start having full stadia again with our fans because it’s part of the process of coming out of the pandemic world,” said Coe.

“Sport will be the great driver, athletics I want to see absolutely at the forefront of that.”

Coe hailed an increase in sports activities during the pandemic and singled out those improvising under the lockdown, including balcony runners or backyard athletes.

“It makes me feel very reassured because it tells me that we have the most creative, ingenious, resilient, thoughtful, funny people in our sport,” he said.

“It may just be the nature of athletics, I don’t know, maybe I’m biased but I am happy to say that.”

Coe also said he was “saddened” by the cancellation of the Boston Marathon over the virus, announced on Thursday.

“It’s one of the oldest marathons in the world and I know that it doesn’t just engage elite level runners, it’s very much part of the fabric of that great American city,” he said.

“I’m hoping that we can maintain the road programme and the marathon majors.”

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending