Connect with us

General

National Youth Council calls for arrest of NYS scandal suspects

Published

on

Loading...

The National Youth Council leadership is demanding for the arrest and prosecution of individuals responsible for the Sh9 billion National Youth Service (NYS) scandal.

Led by Nairobi Branch chairman Mr Edward Githaiga, the leaders said that the state department is now becoming synonymous with loss of public money with other instances involve the Kazi Kwa Vijana saga, the first NYS scandal where over Sh796 million was lost and now the current one.

“This time stern action should be taken to those found culpable. Those responsible for the loss of the money must be jailed and not just left to step aside. We are tired and enough is enough,” said Mr Githaiga during a press conference on Saturday at Serena Hotel, Nairobi.

The chair said that billions continue to be lost at NYS, money that would go into the youth council which gets a paltry Sh37 million annually.

STEPPED ASIDE

Loading...

On Thursday, Members of Parliament, during a meeting with Ministry of Public Service and Youth Affairs Cabinet Secretary Margaret Kobia, also threatened not to approve any budgetary allocations for NYS programmes until action is taken against those behind the saga, demanding that the list of the fictitious companies that were paid the Sh9 billion be made public.

Already, two public officers, who were in charge when NYS was hit by the Sh10.5 billion scandal, have stepped aside to pave way for investigations into the loss of billions of shillings of taxpayers’ money.

The two are Ms Lilian Mbogo-Omollo, the Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Public Service and Youth Affairs, and Mr Richard Ndubai, NYS Director-General.

President Uhuru Kenyatta has also directed all those implicated to uphold the code of ethics and integrity and also step aside while also accepting the decision by the two officials to leave office for three months to pave way for the investigations by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Police in hot pursuit of gang that car-jacked a Ruaka resident – KBC

Published

on

Loading...
The vehicle was found abandoned in Kagongo village, having been vandalized.

Kiambu based detectives are pursuing a dangerous and armed criminal gang that car-jacked a Ruaka resident on Friday, before disappearing with his Toyota Premio as he drove to his residence.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

According to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations(DCI), the victim had pulled over by the apartment’s gate at Ruaka One River Apartments, unaware that a gang of three assailants was laying in wait for him.

As the gates opened, the driver’s window was suddenly smashed with an iron rod, before two shots were fired in the air from a pistol in an attempt to subdue him.

However, he managed to force his way into the parking lot, but before he could jump out of the car and scamper to safety, the trio caught up with him and roughed him up before grabbing his car keys and phone.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

On receiving the report, DCI detectives based at Kiambaa launched a manhunt for the suspects.

The vehicle was found abandoned in Kagongo village, having been vandalized.

Loading...
Its rear and front headlights, side mirrors, all tyres, nose guard, boot and radio had been stolen.

Detectives believe that the three suspects are part of a larger criminal syndicate operating within Kiambu County.

They have been targeting taxi drivers while posing as customers, only to turn against them at isolated places, then vandalize their vehicles.

” Some members of the syndicate have previously been arrested and arraigned in court.” Said the DCI

The DCI has cautioned Kenyans on this trend of crime.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Nyandarua County Assembly Speaker impeached for third time

Published

on

Loading...

The special sitting was held despite a court order that reinstated the speaker.

Nyandarua County Assembly Speaker Ndegwa Wahome has been impeached for the third time.
Wahome was voted out over gross misconduct, abuse of office and nepotism in a special sitting held on Saturday.
31 out of the 38 ward representatives supported the impeachment motion while six opposed and one abstained.
The special sitting was held despite an order by Nakuru High Court Judge Hillary Chemitei reinstating Wahome until a case he had filed against his removal was heard and determined.
Reading out the charges, the mover of the motion, Majority Leader Edinard Kingori, accused Wahome of favouritism in assembly functions.
Kingori claimed that Wahome also failed to account for monies meant for the construction of Nyandarua County Assembly offices.

Nyandarua County Assembly Leader of Majority Edinard Kingori displays a notice of impeachment motion against speaker Ndegwa Wahome.

Loading...

The Majority Leader alleged that the embattled speaker colluded with some MCAs and undermined Governor Francis Kimemia’s leadership.
“The speaker has outrightly shown that he is unable to hold office. That is why we want him out. All he keeps asking from the executive is for more money yet he cannot account for the ones he has been allocated. We cannot allow this anymore. He has been discriminating against some of us in county assembly functions while favouring others. Is this fair?” posed Kingori.

Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!
Take a survey

Responding to the allegations, Wahome, who defended himself via zoom, said the impeachment was merely a political act.
“We know whose hand is behind this. My hands are clean and everyone can attest that I have run this assembly professionally since I took over eight years ago,” said Wahome.
Wahome said that his demand for accountability and firm stand against corruption in the county was the root cause of his predicament. 
The speaker was represented by lawyers, Martin Waichungo and Mathea Gikunju.

 

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Will retiring governors be kingmakers in 2022 contest?

Published

on

Loading...

Key political players eyeing to succeed President Uhuru Kenyatta are wooing retiring county bosses, hoping to ride on political influence for votes.

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending