Connect with us

General

Nairobi’s major slums get police stations – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

All Nairobi’s major informal settlements now have at least one police station under new structure in a development announced by Inspector General Hillary Mutyambai in which Nairobi got 24 new stations.

The structure is part of the ongoing reorganization of the National Police Service that has seen all former Administration Police Service posts taken over by the Kenya Police Service (KPS) and some upgraded to fully fledged police stations.

MUKURU SLUMS

Nairobi had slightly more than 20 police stations.

The populous Mukuru slums will have two police stations – Mukuru kwa Reuben and Mukuru kwa Njenga police stations. The two stations were previously KPS posts before the upgrade.

The two police stations will fall under the Embakasi sub county police command. The expansive Mukuru slums were previously served by the Embakasi police station.

Others facilities upgraded from police posts to stations under Embakasi sub county command are Villa and Kware.

Lunga lunga police post formerly an AP post in Industrial Area has also been upgraded to a police station under the Makadara sub county command.

Lunga Lunga was previously served by the Industrial Area police station in Makadara sub county.

Mathare will have police station at the former APS’s Security of Government Buildings [SGB] Unit’s premises along Junja road.  It was previously served by Huruma, Muthaiga and Pangani police stations.

KIBRA SLUMS

Loading...

Kibra slum will be home two police stations – Kibra and the deputy county commissioner’s offices and Jamuhuri police station. The largest slum was previously served by Kilimani and Langata police stations.

Former Kangemi APS post in Westlands sub county was upgrade to a police station.

Other new police stations include Ngara and South “B” police stations in Starehe sub county command, Eastleigh and Carlifonia police stations under Kamukunji sub county, Akila and Mombasa road police stations in Langata.

Eastleigh was hived off from Starehe command where it was served by Pangani police station and placed under the newly formed Kamukunji sub county.

Njiru sub county got three new police stations after Mowlem, Mihang’o and Obama police posts were upgraded to police stations.

Kasarani sub county got five stations after – Njathaini, Sunton, Lucky Summer and Kahawa West and Korongocho police posts were upgraded to stations.

Most of the areas in the sub county were served by Kasarani police station, Githurai Kimbo Ruaraka police stations.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Uganda pursues truckers who escaped after positive tests

Published

on

Loading...
DAILY MONITOR

By DAILY MONITOR
More by this Author

Uganda’s Ministry of Health says it has intensified the search for contacts of the seven truck drivers with Covid-19 who were found in Ndeeba, a city suburb, on Saturday night.

The National Covid-19 Response Incident Commander Ateka Kagirita told Daily Monitor Monday that the truck drivers had escaped into the community after finding out their status.

Dr Kagirita said the truckers are among the 25 drivers who previously disappeared into the community after they tested positive at Elegu and Malaba border posts.

“The 24-hour operation is ongoing to hunt down all the truck drivers who escaped into the community after testing positive. We are working day and night to get who they got into contact with, establish where they slept to ensure there is no positive case in the community,” he said.

Advertisement

Asked whether any action will be taken against the drivers for disappearing into the communities, aware that they could spread the disease, Dr Kagirita said he would give details later.

The Uganda Professional Drivers Network (UPDN) revealed that the Saturday night development, which they attributed to their intervention to help the government to come up with a more comprehensive plan to manage the truck drivers.

Loading...

UPDN Executive Director Ndugu Omogo said the seven are Ugandan, Kenyan and Tanzanian nationals.

“Some of them have been in the community for more than a week. Many of them ran away because there is no existing case management system. Many of them think the disease doesn’t exist and that the government just wants to steal money,” he said.

Mr Omogo explained that the drivers believe the disease is a hoax because they have not been adequately sensitised about it.

He added that many of them run away because they are freelance drivers who do not have contracts with the truck owners and when they are arrested and quarantined for 14 days, they are certain of losing jobs.

“100 per cent of the drivers who have tested positive are freelance. They do not have jobs. The only way they get money is when they return the trucks. Nobody accepts them in the community when they test positive,” he said.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Kenya: Wrong Contact Details Hurt Efforts to Trace Suspected Cases

Published

on

Loading...

Kenyans are on the spot for providing wrong contacts during Covid-19 testing, hampering efforts to trace suspected cases.

During a press conference Sunday, Health Chief Administrative Secretary Rashid Aman said the trend is endangering lives.

“Once the results are out, such individuals become unavailable. This is serious considering some of them have tested positive and we are unable to trace them,” he said.

Dr Aman called on those who are being tested to provide the correct information. He said a mobile laboratory is being set up in Namanga for truck drivers.

“We are hoping the turnaround time is going to be reduced,” Dr Aman said, adding that the government had established holding facilities for truckers as they wait for their results.

He said the Health ministry is collaborating with county commissioners to ensure truckers do not mingle with the community, to reduce the rate of virus transmission.

Dr Aman reiterated that the government will meet costs of treatment and quarantine. “It is a concern for the people because most shy away when they hear that costs are their own,” he said.

OBEY GUIDELINES

The CAS warned Kenyans who are not adhering to guidelines, saying containment measures can only be eased depending on their behaviour.

“I can assure you, just like the President said yesterday, the partial lockdown measures would not go on longer than necessary, and will be reviewed if Kenyans follow the containment measures in order to reduce the number of infections,” he said.