Connect with us

Sports

Junior Golf Foundation suspends caddy training at Nakuru Club

Published

on

Loading...
FRANCIS MUREITHI

By FRANCIS MUREITHI
More by this Author

Caddies at Nakuru Golf Club who were hoping to undergo a training organised by the Junior Golf Foundation (JGF) so as to improve their skills in the gentleman’s game will have to wait longer, thanks to coronavirus pandemic.

Caddies at the 91-year-old uphill course were slated to start the training in August this year but JGF has suspended the programme due to outbreak of the deadly virus.

“We had drawn a detailed training programme for caddies to equip them with golf skills which they could use to training rookies at the club and earn a living,” JGF regional co-ordinator for Central Rift Valley Stephen Kihumba said on Monday.

Besides using the skills to put food on the table, caddies training would also enable them perform well in tournaments.

Kihumba said prior to the launch of the training programme by JGF, only professional golfers were allowed to train upcoming golfers in their respective clubs.

“This is a new training programme. When it resumes after Covid-19 crisis is over, it will prove a game changer for caddies as it will improve their playing skills and boost their earnings,” said Kihumba, who is also the chairperson of Nakuru Golf Club.

Advertisement

Hundreds of caddies in seven golf clubs in Central Rift region were scheduled to undergo the training as part of JGF’s initiative to demystify the notion that golf is a preserve of the elite and the rich.

“We also want to discover fresh talent in the sport, and to sponsor some of them to exploit their talents in local and international tournaments,” Kihumba told Nation Sport on Monday.

Loading...

Some of the clubs in the region with a vibrant pool of caddies include Njoro Golf Club, Gilgil Golf Club and Kenya Military Academy (KMA) Lanet.

Others are the Country Golf Club and the Great Rift Golf Club (both in Naivasha) and Nakuru Golf Club which has about 60 caddies, among them seven women who are hoping to make a maiden appearance on the course.

Nakuru Club’s top caddies John Kamais and Gentol Esto are among the beneficiaries of past training programmes. They have been participating in national golf tournaments for caddies. That has seen them earn vital points that put them on the path to turning professional at a later date, with a chance of qualifying to play in Kenya Open championship.

Caddies who have a passion for the sport cannot afford the expensive equipment, and lack training skills despite spending a great deal of their time in the course.

Meanwhile, more than 300 golfers at Nakuru Golf Club have distributed foodstuff worth Sh250,000 to the caddies and staff to cushion them against the effects of coronavirus.

Each member contributes Sh2,000 per month, but others have given up to Sh30,000.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Coast stakeholders want caretaker committee to run football

Published

on

Loading...

By PHILIP ONYANGO

Coast region football stakeholders now want the government to put in place a normalization committee to take over the running of the sport ahead of the overdue Football Kenya Federation (FKF) elections.

Loading...

Led by former Coast FKF Secretary, Ismael Mohammed, the stakeholders who included current and former administrators, referees and players said they have had enough of the musical chairs at the Sports Disputes Tribunal (SDT) and now want the Sports ministry to step in and take action.

According to them, the current FKF regime’s term of office expired in February as per the constitution and that ought to be respected.

SDT nullified FKF county and national polls in December and March citing irregularities in the way both exercises were conducted.

“The Sports Disputes Tribunal has been doing a good job so far, but made an error by allowing FKF president Nick Mwendwa to stay in office because any work that is remaining at the federation should be done by the Secretariat and not the presidency “, Mohammed, who was speaking at the Mombasa Municipal Stadium Wednesday , said.

According to him, having a normalization committee will restore confidence in all those interested in elective posts and allow stakeholders to choose leaders of their choice without fear of victimization. 

According to Mohammad, Kenya has had four normalization committees in the past and does not therefore see anything strange with the government putting one in place with Kenyan football at crossroads. 

Mohammed said the decision by Nick Mwendwa to skip the SDT virtual hearing on Tuesday was a clear pointer that he was no longer interested in peaceful transition and should therefore be ignored.

“Mwendwa should first clear his name with the Directorate of Criminal Investigation on several scandals surrounding his tenure at the federation before thinking of any elective positions in future, because as things stand now, no one is interested in his leadership”, Mohammed said.

Mohammed said Mwendwa’s continued stay in office poses real danger to the FKF finances, which he still has access to.

“It is laughable when we are told that Mwendwa should stay on to wait to hand over. That is not his work, because any NEC member and the secretariat can easily hand handover when that time comes”, he said.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

NOC-K moves to cushion Olympic veterans from Covid-19 effects

Published

on

Loading...

By NATION REPORTER

Kenya’s Olympic officials have moved to end the misery of retired internationals by offering Sh500,000 in seed money for their upkeep.

The officials from the National Olympic Committee Kenya (NOC-K), Kenya National Sports Council (KNSC) and Kenya National Paralympic Committee (KNPC) say the initial amount is meant to fend off effects of the coronavirus pandemic from the veterans.

NOC-K acting secretary general, Francis Mutuku, told journalists at the programme’s launch Wednesday that the initiative will first target “Team Kenya” athletes who competed at the Olympics, Commonwealth Games and African Games.

They must have retired by 2004. These are the athletes identified as the most vulnerable.

However, the support will extend to others, subject to raising of requisite resources.

“We first of all want to appreciate the support that the government, and the Ministry of Sports in particular, have given to our active athletes,” Mutuku said.

Loading...

“We know the pandemic has affected our athletes greatly and most of them have been inactive for three months.

“The government support has, therefore, greatly eased the burden being experienced by the active athletes.

“We encourage our sports people to use these funds very wisely.

“It is instrumental to note that NOC-K carried out a webinar on management of finances and trust that the lessons derived will be useful”, Mutuku added.

The initiative by the umbrella bodies is, therefore, meant to go beyond what the government has done.

“Food support has been identified as a critical and priority need area of focus for the next three months.
“We want to give food support to the retired athletes. After consultation, we felt food aid will be of greater assistance as we continue looking for other partners in this initiative,” remarked Mutuku.

A pay bill number will be launched on Monday next week to enable the public to contribute to cushioning the needy athletes during this tough period.

“We are very grateful to the national federations who have started working on some form of support for sports persons.’’

“NOC-K has committed Sh500,000 to kick start the programme. This amount will only cater for food because this is a key area.

“According to an athletes’ survey conducted by NOC-K, they cited finance, food, wellness and fitness as their areas of concern and even as we appeal for more support, it’s all systems go.

“The government has already dealt with the financial bit and we hope to continue this initiative as long as possible,” Mutuku added.

KNSC treasurer, Charles Nyaberi lauded NOC-K for setting the ball rolling with the latest initiative as they seek to cushion sports people of all cadres from the effects of coronavirus.

“We thank the Ministry of Sports for taking care of first and second tier athletes.

“We implore federations to also try and come up with a support system for their sports people. We have requested NOC-K to start a pay bill to rally the public behind this noble initiative,” said Nyaberi.

“The government will continue for the next two months to support our active athletes with most of them having already received Sh10,000 each as ordered by the Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed.

“We will support the umbrella bodies going forward to ensure the program for our sports people who have represented us since independence is a success,” said Sports Commissioner, Japson Gitonga.

NOC-K is in the process of creating a database of all national level athletes, which will be extended later to include retired athletes.

According to Mutuku, such information is key because they will be able to profile and effectively find ways of addressing

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

An Executive Order by President Uhuru Kenyatta

Published

on

Loading...

An Executive Order by President Uhuru Kenyatta has abolished the Presidency and instead put the office of the Deputy President under the office of the president.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

THE PRESIDENT
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 1 OF 2020
THE ORGANIZATION OF GOVERNMENT

IN EXERCISE of the powers conferred by Article 132 (3) (b) of the Constitution, as read with all other enabling Laws, I, UHURU KENYATTA, President and Commander-in-Chief of the Kenya Defence  Forces, order and direct:

(i) THAT the Government shall be organized as set out in this Order;
(ii) THAT this Order contains portfolio responsibilities and changes made in the structure of Government;
(iii) THAT this Order assigns functions and institutions among Ministries and State Departments; and
(iv) THAT this Order supersedes Executive Order No. 1 of 2018 (Revised) issued in July 2018.

Loading...

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

ISSUED under the HAND AND SEAL of the President of the Republic of
Kenya at State House, Nairobi this 11th day of May, 2020.

UHURU KENYATTA,
PRESIDENT.

Click here–> Executive Order No. 1 of 2020 formatted final Updated

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending