Connect with us

Sports

Is Mayweather eyeing a comeback?

Published

on

Loading...
AFP

By AFP
More by this Author

Floyd Mayweather has teased a possible return to fighting, writing in an Instagram post he was “coming out of retirement” in 2020.

The former welterweight boxing king revealed news of the comeback beneath a photo of him wearing boxing trunks and hand wraps.

“Coming out of retirement in 2020,” Mayweather wrote in the Instagram post late Thursday, giving no additional information.

In a separate post late Thursday, Mayweather wrote he was working with UFC tycoon Dana White on a event for next year.

“@danawhite and I working together again to bring the world another spectacular event in 2020,” wrote Mayweather. No further details was provided.

Advertisement

Loading...

Mayweather collaborated with White for his last competitive boxing bout in August 2017, when the American scored a knockout of Irish mixed martial arts superstar Conor McGregor in a money-spinning superfight in Las Vegas.

The 42-year-old had walked away from traditional boxing two years earlier after a win over Andre Berto that saw him hang up his gloves with an undefeated 49-0 record.

In December last year, Mayweather fought Japanese MMA star Tenshin Nasukawa in a widely ridiculed three-round exhibition fight, winning in the first round.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

World hunger worsening as Covid-19 weighs and obesity rises: UN

Published

on

Loading...

By AFP

Rome,

Nearly one in nine people in the world are going hungry, with the coronavirus pandemic exacerbating already worsening trends this year, according to a United Nations report published Monday.

Economic slowdowns and climate-related shocks are pushing more people into hunger, while nutritious foods remain too expensive for many, contributing not only to undernourishment, but to growing rates of obesity in adults and children.

“After decades of long decline, the number of people suffering from hunger has been slowly increasing since 2014,” said the State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World annual report.

Not only did people need enough food, but nutritious food, the study said, citing costly “health and environmental consequences” of sub-par diets.

Nearly 690 million people, or 8.9 per cent of people around the globe, are hungry, the UN found.

Advertisement

That number rose by 10 million people in just one year to 2019, and by 60 million in the past five years, found the study, which said eradicating hunger by 2030 – a goal set five years ago – will be impossible if trends continue.

By 2030, over 890 million people could be affected by hunger, or 9.8 per cent of the world’s population, it estimated.

Loading...

Five United Nations agencies co-authored the report: the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the World Food Programme (WFP) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

Last year, the report estimated that over 820 million people were going hungry, but estimates were recalculated following revised data from China for prior years.

When measuring both moderate and severe food insecurity in 2019, the number balloons from 690 million to 2 billion people without “regular access to safe, nutritious and sufficient food”.

POVERTY

The Covid-19 pandemic, which has hit hard in nations with widespread poverty, could cause another 83 to 132 million people to become undernourished this year, the report said.

Global trends had already been worsening before coronavirus, it said.

About a quarter of Africa’s population could go hungry by 2030 from 19.1 per cent today, already twice the world average.

In Asia, the number of hungry people fell by 8 million people since 2015, although the continent remains home to more than half the world’s undernourished people.

Trends in Latin America and the Caribbean are worsening, with 9 million more hungry people last year than in 2015.

“A key reason why millions of people around the world suffer from hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition is because they cannot afford the cost of healthy diets,” found the report.

OBESITY

In all regions, adult obesity is on the rise, with healthy diets of fruits, vegetables and protein-rich foods unaffordable to some 3 billion people.

Over 57 per cent of people in sub-Saharan Africa and Southern Asia cannot afford a healthy diet.

Low-income countries rely on starchy staples like cereals and tubers that can cost 60 percent less than healthy diets, but lack necessary proteins and key vitamins and minerals to reduce infections and ward off disease.

The report found 21.3 per cent of children under five, or 144 million, experienced stunted growth due to malnutrition, most of them in Africa or Asia.

Another 6.9 per cent were “wasted” with nutritional imbalances, while 5.6 per cent were overweight.

Of the overweight children, 45 per cent come from Asia, and 24 per cent from Africa, underscoring how malnutrition takes the form of both undernutrition and obesity.

CONSUMPTION PATTERNS

Current patterns in food consumption are estimated to result in health costs of over $1.3 trillion per year by 2030.

But healthier diets could lower those costs by up to 97 per cent, the report estimated, citing a vegetarian diet with associated health costs of less than $100 million.

Costs are also associated with greenhouse gas emissions caused by today’s food production system which could also be reduced by alternative diets.

While acknowledging high prices for healthy food are due to a variety of factors from insufficient diversification and inadequate food storage to domestic subsidies that favor staples, the report called an “urgent rebalancing of agricultural policies and incentives.”

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Lobbying intensifies as MCAs set to table Ngilu impeachment motion

Published

on

Loading...

By KITAVI MUTUA

The motion for Kitui Governor Charity Ngilu’s impeachment will be tabled Wednesday following the High Court’s decision against stopping the process.

Justice Weldon Korir’s ruling last week, okaying the motion by majority leader Peter Kilonzo, kicked off a series of meetings, with both sides lobbying for support to either pass or defeat the motion.

Ms Ngilu is facing a spirited effort for her removal from office that was engineered by MCAs in the Wiper party, whose leader is politician Kalonzo Musyoka.

In the 54-member county assembly, Wiper enjoys the majority of 30 elected and nominated MCAs but two members – Kasee Musya (Kisasi) and James Musyoka (Kiomo Kyethani) broke ranks with their party and announced they’ll oppose the motion.

Loading...

With 28 members remaining, the mover must win the support of eight MCAs from other parties to gather the requisite two thirds majority of 36 votes to see the motion through.

NGILU’S CAMP

Advertisement

Ms Ngilu’s party, Narc, has 12 members but enjoys the support of MCAs from smaller political parties and independent lawmakers.

Members of the governor’s camp say they have the backing of about 25 MCAs and are sure the motion will fail but Mr Kilonzo said his camp has more than 36 supporters.

Lobbying for numbers has intensified with a caucus of 10 women MCAs throwing their weight behind Governor Ngilu.

The ward reps, led by Anastasia Mwathi of Mutito/Kaliku ward, said the motion is ill-motivated and aimed at distracting Ms Ngilu from the goals in her manifesto.

Ms Mwathi noted that MCAs must be allowed to represent the interests of the people who elected them, not political parties.

“We can’t allow bullying by big parties against a leader who was popularly elected by more than 170,000 votes” she told the Nation on Monday.

She said their proponents will face a huge embarrassment as the impeachment bid will collapse for lack of numbers.

The ten female MCAs include six from Ms Ngilu’s party, three from small political parties and an independent.

The assembly has 18 women MCAs out of the 54 elected and nominated members.

WARNING

US-based law scholar Makau Mutua waded into the controversy at the weekend, criticising the assembly for seeking to oust the governor.

In a tweet, Prof Mutua urged MCAs to put Kitui people before “politics of personal destruction”.

“Think before you commit irreversible errors. Respect women leadership,” the law don said.

Meanwhile, Speaker George Ndotto has summoned Ms Ngilu to appear before the assembly Wednesday with strict instructions to bring only two legal counsels.

In a letter dated July 9, Mr Ndotto said if the governor chooses to appear in person, only two lawyers will be allowed at the county assembly grounds.

The letter rekindles memories of last week’s scuffle that saw Governor Ngilu’s lawyers assaulted and thrown out of the assembly by orderlies.

Lawyers Martin Oloo, Morris Kimuli and Stanley Kiima had gone to respond to summons issued by the Speaker.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Woman accused of killing JKIA engineer freed on Sh1m bond

Published

on

Loading...

By JOSEPH WANGUI

A woman accused of murdering her boyfriend in Umoja, Nairobi, has been released on Sh1 million bond with two sureties of the same amount.

Ms Vigilance Shighi, 29, is accused of killing Edward Budoyi Okello, an aeronautical engineer at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA), at Amani Court in Umoja II Estate on May 9.

Loading...

Police reports indicate that she stabbed the 33-year-old man in the chest and abdomen several times using a knife after a domestic squabble.

Mr Okello died at Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital in Kayole where he was taken after the incident.

In court on Monday, Ms Shighi, who has denied the charge, was given the alternative of Sh500,000 cash bail.

BAIL REQUEST

Advertisement

The prosecution opposed Ms Shighi’s application for bail, saying investigating officer Veronica Waithera was apprehensive that, being jobless, she would likely abscond.

“Being a resident of a border county (Kenya-Tanzania), she is likely to flee to the neighbouring country to avoid trial and being called to account for what she is being charged of,” said Ms Waithera.

She added, “The deceased was killed in a horrific manner. It would only be just and fair for the accused to be denied bail pending trial.”

The officer added that the accused would likely interfere with witnesses.

THE RULING

But Milimani Judge Luka Kimaru said there were no compelling reasons to deny Ms Shighi bail as police failed to give evidence to prove she was a flight risk.

“The circumstance under which the crime is said to have occurred, in the absence of other evidence, cannot form a basis for this court to deny the accused the constitutionally guaranteed right to be released on bail pending trial,” Mr Kimaru said.

He added that the accused cannot be discriminated against by virtue of the location of her home country.

Justice Kimaru also said the prosecution’s fears can be addressed by the court’s imposition of conditions that will ensure her presence during the trial.

“The courts are under a constitutional imperative to lean towards granting the accused persons bail, pending trial, unless it is established, to the satisfaction of the court, that the trial would be frustrated by the accused’s prior conduct or failure to attend court during trial,” he explained.

He directed the accused to provide the names of two close relatives who ensure she goes to court for the trial.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending