By MAUREEN KAKAH
Migori governor Okoth Obado’s personal assistant Michael Oyamo has pleaded not guilty to the charge of murder.
Mr Oyamo denied killing Sharon Belyne Otieno while appearing before High Court judge Jessi Lesiit on Wednesday morning.
The prosecution is accusing him of luring the deceased on September 3 from her parents’ home in Homa Bay County to Rongo from where she, together with Nation journalist Barrack Oduor, was handed over to the killers.
In documents filed in court, Mr Oyamo allegedly made a false report at Uriri police station that he had been kidnapped.
The documents reveal that he made the report the next day after luring and handing over the two to the abductors.
According to the investigating officer, Mr Oyamo lied that he was kidnapped and that he found himself at Kisii Level 5 hospital being treated at 9am.
However, a probe into the matter has revealed that the accused was never a patient at the said facility on the said date.
“The accused person played a key role in the planning and eventual execution of the deceased and her unborn child,” said the investigating officer.
He added: “The state has evidence which links the accused person and his accomplices to the commission of the heinous crime.”
The prosecution now wants him denied bond pending trial on ground that his character and conduct confirms that he is a person who cannot be trusted.
The court is set to hear his request to be released on bond on Wednesday afternoon.
Mr Oyamo was rearrested moments after being freed by police in Homabay a week on Tuesday and flown to Nairobi.