Connect with us

General

Experts comb Dusit site to remove all explosives

Published

on

Loading...


Security officers yesterday continued combing the 14 Riverside Drive complex attacked by terrorists on Tuesday as it emerged that all the 19 people reported missing had been accounted for.

A contingent of Kenyan security forces camped at the terror attack site with bomb experts and sniffer dogs.

Police said they believed there were no more people trapped inside DusitD2 hotel or surrounding office buildings after the 20-hour operation in which some 700 civilians were rescued.

Police have warned the public that there may be loud controlled explosions as they continued their sweep of the hotel to clear it of any explosives.

Offices housed in the complex remained closed the whole of yesterday as police continued to cordon off the crime scene for the third day running.

Gunmen with the al-Qaeda-linked Somali militant group al-Shabaab attacked the DusitD2 hotel and office complex on Tuesday afternoon.

The Kenya Red Cross yesterday said all the people had been accounted for.

Read: Car with same number Plate as that in Dusit attack impounded in Kajiado

“All 94 cases have been closed positively as of (now),” it said in a statement at 12:30 giving no further details.

President Uhuru Kenyatta said on Wednesday evening that a 20-hour siege had ended with security forces killing all the attackers

Loading...

But even as Red Cross confirmed that all people had been accounted for, many families who had not seen their loved ones remained anxious at Chiromo mortuary.

“It’s painful that we’ve resorted to visit the morgue as a final option,” a relative who broke down before giving more details said.

His family is missing more than one person.

“We’re just officials and have to follow protocol,” an official would be heard explaining.

“Maybe they are not of the same father. Let us cooperate,” the official added. The death toll is currently at 21 after six more bodies were retrieved on Wednesday night at the complex. Among the dead is a police officer.

Read: 2 Dusit killers were from Kiambu, Nyeri

Click here for the latest political news 

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Interior PS Karanja Kibicho hints at reopening of the economy: The Standard

Published

on

Loading...

Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho. [File, Standard]
NairobiOn Saturday June 6, President Uhuru Kenyatta is expected to give a way forward in regard to cessation of movement in the affected counties

Interior Permanent Secretary Karanja Kibicho has hinted on a likely phased re-opening of the country even as Kenyans await eagerly on the new measures set to be announced on Saturday.

In an interview with Radio Citizen, Kibicho said the government had found itself in a difficult position since recorded Covid-19 cases in the country are on the rise but noted high-level discussions were ongoing.
“We cannot lock-down forever, the government makes its money from taxes, currently people are not at work, personally I think we can re-open but under strict guidelines,” Kibicho said.
According to the PS, some restrictions may be lifted although the government will not be relaxing the requirements on face-masks and social distancing.
SEE ALSO: COVID-19: The interruption of customs
“Companies willing to re-open will need to ensure guidelines on face-masks and social distancing are adhered to because the new coronavirus is still here with us,” he added.
Kibicho urged Kenyans to remain vigilant and not to expect a sudden normalcy saying the re-opening of the economy was a very delicate balance requiring the participation of everyone.
On Saturday June 6, President Uhuru Kenyatta is expected to give a way forward in regard to cessation of movement in the affected counties. The previous containment order directive affecting Nairobi, Mombasa and Kwale counties will elapse on Saturday.
The daily dusk-to-dawn curfew which had been extended by a further 21 days will also be lapsing on June 6.
On Monday during Madaraka Day celebrations held at State house, President Uhuru Kenyatta hinted at the reopening of places of worship.
SEE ALSO: Kenya Power employees turn Covid-19 positive
While delivering his speech, the President said he shared the heavy hearts of all those who can no longer worship as they used to.
“I direct the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Health to continue and hasten their engagement with religious leaders; with the objective of developing protocols that will be adopted to guide a more participatory way of worship while guaranteeing the safety of worshipers,” he said.
During his seventh national address on the progress made in containing the virus in the country, the president noted that every Kenyan would have to take responsibility to prevent the spread of the highly infections virus.
“We will not continue with the lock-down and the curfew, I have told health officials and my ministers that they should start telling Kenyans that we cannot be under a curfew or lock-down forever,” he said.

Loading...

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

54 COVID-19 patients discharged raising cleared cases to 553 » Capital News

Published

on

Loading...

NAIROBI, Kenya June 3 – Fifty-four COVID-19 patients have been discharged after recovering form the virus, representing the highest single-day recovery rate recorded yet since the first patient was discharged on April 1.

The total recovery toll now stands at 553 representing a 25 per cent recovery rate against the global average of 48 per cent.

Health Chief Administrative Secretary Rashid Aman on Wednesday attributed the high number of recoveries to the commitment and diligence of health workers on the frontline in the war against the pandemic.

“This recovery is attributed to the diligent and committed work of health workers operating in enabled health systems, this shows that with good management, this disease when clinically manifested is curable and not a death sentence,” he asserted when he addressed the press during a regular status update on COVID-19.

Aman reiterated government’s commitment to combat the spread of the virus while urging the public to maintain adherence to COVID-19 containment measures in order to support government efforts to flatten the infection curve.

“We must wear masks at all times to protect ourselves and our loved ones and avoid the risk of being infected or infecting others,” the Health CAS added.

Loading...

He however raised concern over the violation of social distancing guidelines by some restaurants warning that the actions pose a huge risk in the fight against the virus.

“The only measure that has been relaxed is the measure that allowed operation of restaurants and eateries based on strict adherence to the social and physical distancing guidelines,” he said.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Out of the 2,112 samples analysed in 24 hours leading to Wednesday, Aman noted that 123 tested positive for the virus bringing total number of infections to 2,216.

The cases are distributed in Nairobi(44), Mombasa (34), Uasin Gishu (12), Kiambu (3), Kajiado (3), Nyeri (3) , Kilifi (2), Garissa (1) and Laikipia(1).

The country’s death toll now stands at 74 after 3 more patients succumbed to the virus, two of them from Nairobi, the third was reported in Nyeri.

“The youngest one is a 12-year-old boy while the other two are 41 years and 71 years ofage. Our heartfelt condolences to their families and friends,” Aman noted.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Man arrested after his goggles were found at murder scene – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations [DCI] is holding a man arrested after a pair of his googles was recovered from a murder scene.

Kelvin Otieno Oduor was arrested after his spectacles were found beside the lifeless body of Duncan Odhiambo Buda, who was found dead outside St John’s Church in Korogocho slums on May 27.

But Oduor said he was handed the goggles at Kariobangi police station where “I was informed that I was involved in the murder of a person I don’t know”.

The deceased was found with several stab wounds suspected to have been inflicted by two men among them Oduor on the morning of the same day.

The death was reported to Korogocho police post by the deceased’s wife.

Detective constable Collins Musiomi of Starehe DCI offices obtained orders at Makadara law courts to detain Oduor for 14 days pending investigations.

Loading...

Musiomi said the scene of the crime was photographed by the scenes of crimes personnel and he drew the sketch plan before the body was collected and taken to City Mortuary.

The detective said Oduor has not been interviewed and witnesses including the deceased’s wife Linet Otieno have not recorded statements.

He said none of the statutory police procedures including mental assessment of the suspect and the postmortem of the deceased has been done.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending