Connect with us

Business

EU Visas: Kenya Not Among 15 Countries Eligible For Non-Essential Travel

Published

on

Loading...

Kenya is not among the list of countries granted the interim EU Visas after EU opened up non-essential travel. An article by Reuters shows that only 54 countries globally made the first list of countries eligible for interim EU visas, with Rwanda as the only East African Nation on the list.

Last week, 27 EU ambassadors convened to set criteria for granting quarantine-free access from July 1. Other countries which will also have to wait longer for temporary Schengen visas include Brazil, United States, and Russia. In Africa, countries eligible for an interim EU visas include Algeria, Angola, Egypt, Ethiopia, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Tunisia, Rwanda, Uganda, and Zambia.

SEE ALSO: Foreign Workers Suffer as American Visa Ban Hits 525,000 People

Further Reviews For EU Visas

Further reviews narrowed down countries to 15 countries, with Rwanda, Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco as the only African countries on the list.

There are now 14 (+1) countries on the Union list from which Member States can base their national list of safe countries. These are Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia and Uruguay. China is also on the EU list, but only on the condition of reciprocal action by the Chinese authorities.

Loading...
EU Marks 15 Third Countries as ‘Safe’
Country’s Currently Qualified for Temporary Schengen Visa. Image Courtesy of Schengen Visa Info.

EU Member states will review the list every two weeks. However, individual countries have the liberty to exclude travelers from these countries at their own discretion.

In response, Gabon said that it will not grant visas to European tourists and business travelers, in the “principle of reciprocity.”

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Business

COVID-19 patient to sue Isiolo County for exposing him – KBC

Published

on

Loading...

A 62-year-old man in Isiolo County who recovered from COVID-19 is seeking justice after health workers at Garbatula Hospital allegedly shared his photos and biodata on social media platforms.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

Osman Shariff who is a trader in the area is now decrying of immense stigma and massive losses in his businesses following the alleged move by the health workers at the hospital where he had been placed under isolation.

The businessman is seeking to sue the County Government even after Isiolo Governor Mohamed Kuti pleaded with him to put the matter to rest.

After recovering from COVID-19, Osman Shariff has now resolved to seek legal redress, to compel the county government to compensate him from what he terms as malicious damage to his business.

Loading...

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

The 62-year-old trader says he is undergoing immense psychological torture after his photos and biodata went viral on social media, the details he says were shared by health workers at Garbatula Hospital.

The stigma he says has been extended to his family posing an unfriendly environment as the trauma takes a toll on them.

His quest to seek justice coming days after Isiolo Governor Mohamed Kuti acknowledged the incident and further pleaded with the victim to put the matter to rest.

Individuals who recover from the dreaded coronavirus have continuously faced stigmatization from the community.

Some even from close relatives, this notwithstanding the Ministry of Health’s plea to the public not to discriminate any individual on such grounds.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Business

Nairobi County loses 400 parking bays at Telposta Towers

Published

on

Loading...
Economy

Nairobi County loses 400 parking bays at Telposta Towers

Telposta Towers on Kenyatta avenue
Telposta Towers on Kenyatta avenue. FILE PHOTO | NMG 

The Nairobi County government has lost control of more than 400 parking bays at Telposta Towers after a court found that it is private property belonging to Teleposta Pension Scheme Trustees.

Justice Samson Okong’o of the Environment and Lands Court found that the defunct City County Council had surrendered the property to the pension scheme in 2005 at a cost of Sh15 million.

Having handed over and received payment, the judge said the City government had relinquished its interest in the disputed property.

Loading...

After acquiring the property, the Scheme developed it resulting to creation of 408 parking bays at the basement and a recreational area. Other 45 parking bays that had been erected by the city council remained intact.

The Scheme moved to court in 2010 after City Hall attempted to evict the security personnel manning the parking bays.

advertisement


Nairobi also wanted to levy parking fees on the the Scheme’s customers and tenants, a move that Justice Okong’o said amounted to trespassing.

The County government had denied that it sold the property to the scheme adding that the title that was issued after the plot was amalgamated with another was illegal, null and void.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

Business

Sh28bn Railway City takes shape as authority formed

Published

on

Loading...
Counties

Sh28bn Railway City takes shape as authority formed

Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS) Director-General Mohammed Badi
Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS) Director-General Mohammed Badi. FILE PHOTO | NMG 

The much-awaited Sh28 billion Nairobi Railway City has started taking shape after the formation of the Railway City Development Authority (RCDA), a special purpose vehicle.

The first phase of the 20-year project that is set to change the face of Nairobi Central Business District (CBD) will kick-off this year.

Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS) Director-General Mohammed Badi said that the Authority was established in May and formation of an implementation committee was underway.

This follows a directive by President Uhuru Kenyatta in March for NMS to work closely with relevant institutions to establish the Authority and identify anchor projects and investors for the project.

“A gazette notice establishing the Railway City Development Authority was published on 13th May 2020 as Legal Notice No. 88 of 2020,” said Major General Badi.

advertisement


“The implementation will spearhead the operationalisation of the Authority, develop framework for actualising the railway city, identify anchor projects and investors,” he added.

Loading...

The iconic multi-modal urban development project, which is part of the Nairobi Integrated Urban Development Plan, will be implemented on a 425-acre piece of land stretching from Haile Selassie Avenue, Uhuru Highway, Bunyala Road, Commercial Street and Landhies Road.

The plan includes building of a new railway station that allows for the integration of BRT and other public transport modes as well as other commercial developments including skyscrapers, residential flats, a cultural centre and a museum.

On March 13, a moratorium on any development in the area was issued for one year to facilitate planning.

The project is divided into three components with the first component entailing the construction of facilities for meetings, incentive conferences and exhibitions which will be located along Bunyala Road.

The next will be an economic zone comprising hi-tech industries and small and medium enterprises. It is projected to create over 200,000 new jobs.

The final component, the East core, will comprise a residential complex – including a school, park and affordable housing units – to accommodate approximately 28,000 residents and it will be built in Landi Mawe and Industrial Area.

The Nairobi Railway station area will be developed into an iconic nerve centre for the city’s multi-modal transport system with a world class new central station incorporating mixed use commercial developments, housing and inter-modal facilities.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending