Connect with us

Sports

Drop impeachment motion against Ngilu, Kitui Majority Leader told

Published

on

Loading...

An MCA from Kitui has urged Majority Leader Peter Kilonzo to withdraw the impeachment motion against Governor Charity Ngilu.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

Kisasi MCA Kasee Musya said the bid to remove Ngilu from office is jinxed having suffered several drawbacks and may end up in humiliation.

“The impeachment has failed twice, once because of a court order by Ngilu and the second time because of lack of quorum. Honourable Kilonzo should swallow his pride and withdraw the motion to avoid further humiliation,” Musya said.

He claimed the plot to oust the Governor is driven by malice rather than objectivity and will not be successful.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Loading...

“This is pure witch-hunt, I strongly advise my Majority Leader to shelve the motion and join hands with the Governor to necessitate smooth service delivery for the electorate,” He added.

The Ward Rep further dismissed as falsehoods by MCA Kilonzo that they went into hiding to deny the Assembly quorum required dispensing with house business.

Kilonzo on Tuesday announced that the impeachment debate, which was slated for Wednesday, had been halted indefinitely following ‘unexplained disappearance” of several members.

“We have decided to put the debate on hold until we are certain of the safety and well-being of our colleagues whom we can neither trace nor reach via phone,” said Kilonzo.

He, however, maintained that the impeachment bid was still on and that Ngilu should rest assured that the MCAs will revisit her case once we establish that other MCAs are safe and sound.

The Governor is being accused of gross violation of the Constitution and the County Governments Act by failing to Honour Summons by the Senate, failing to comply with the two-third gender rule in appointments, violation of the constitutional right to health of the people of Kitui, conflict of interest and abuse of office in the purchase of a stationary stone crusher plant, irregular and unlawful hiring of the County Secretary and failure to dismiss Phillip Mutinda Mumo, the impeached CEC for Trade, Co-operatives & Investments.

Ngilu is also accused of gross violation of the Income Tax Act by failing to remit statutory deductions to KRA, violation of the Public Finance Management Act on the management of the county wage bill, failure to constitute a County Public Service Board, gross violation of the Public Finance Management Act, undermining the authority of the County Assembly and reasonable grounds that the Governor has committed crimes under Sections. 96, 391 and 393 of the Penal Code Cap 63 laws of Kenya.

 

 

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Europe beckons for South African rugby after Kiwi snub

Published

on

Loading...

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, Jul 20World Cup-winning Springbok Schalk Brits believes the future of South African rugby lies in Europe after New Zealand said there was no room for sides from the republic in Super Rugby.

“All of this jet lag and flying across different time zones just does not work,” said the hooker who retired after the triumphant 2019 World Cup campaign.

“We have got so many South Africans playing in Europe and it would be awesome to see them in action here for European clubs.”

With New Zealand favouring a trans-Tasman Super Rugby competition, South Africa Rugby chief executive Jurie Roux will address the media Tuesday about the way forward.

There has been no rugby in South Africa since mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic, which claimed 5,033 lives by late Sunday, the most in an African country.

Here, AFP Sport looks at the possibilities for the world champions Springboks and Super Rugby teams the Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers.

Rugby Championship

There has been speculation that the six-round annual tournament will be cut to four matches with New Zealand and Australia playing in South Africa only every second year.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

That would be a huge blow for SA Rugby coffers as the century-old rivalry with the All Blacks makes them a huge drawcard.

South Africa might consider abandoning the Championship and pursuing a suggestion by former All Blacks Justin Marshall and Jeff Wilson for three-Test tours between the great rivals.

“British and Irish Lions tours are so successful because we look forward to them,” noted another ex-All Black, John Kirwan. The same could be said of an All Blacks-Springboks series.

‘Seven Nations’

Should South African franchises move north, would the Springboks follow suit and apply to join England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales in a ‘Seven Nations’ championship?

Having the world champions on board would surely excite the organisers and costs would be greatly reduced if the Springboks played their three away matches on consecutive weekends.

Loading...

England, Ireland, France and Wales, in particular, would bring freshness for rugby followers, who have not rushed to the turnstiles for Championship visits by Australia and Argentina.

Ask the SA Rugby treasurer for his ‘dream’ line-up and he would surely say a multi-Test tour by the All Blacks and participation in the ‘Seven Nations’.

Super Rugby

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Although not official yet, the reality is that New Zealand want to play some Australian sides and the Pacific Islands in a new competition while excluding South Africa and Argentina.

The original version, a Super 10 between 1993 and 1995, was a superb competition, but constant tinkering and expansion has led to waning interest in a difficult-to-follow event.

Even those supporting the Golden Lions of South Africa could not have derived too much satisfaction from a 94-7 thrashing of Japanese visitors the Sunwolves three years ago.

South Africa sides often battled with time differences in Australasia — New Zealand is 11 hours ahead of the republic — and were weary after four-match tours.

‘Pro16’

Pro14 chief executive Martin Anayi says he would welcome Super Rugby ‘rejects’ the Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers into an expanded edition.

“The tournament works well but could be even better if we added some South African teams,” he said, referring to a competition that also includes Irish, Italian, Scottish and Welsh teams.

But there may be no room for the two current South African Pro14 participants, the Cheetahs and Kings, who have experienced very different fortunes.

While the Cheetahs have been competitive, the Kings won just four of 55 matches in three seasons with some of the losing margins embarrassing.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Currie Cup

The domestic competition has survived constant format changes to remain the vital ‘nursery’ from which Springboks emerge.

First staged in 1892, it was the bedrock of South African rugby until the dawn of professionalism after the 1995 Rugby World Cup.

As Test and Super Rugby fixtures took up an increasing amount of the season, the Currie Cup often battled for calendar space.

But it survived and this year could feature the four Super Rugby sides plus the Cheetahs, Kings, Griquas and Pumas, if play is possible amid the coronavirus.

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Kenya records highest number of deaths from Covid-19

Published

on

Loading...
Kenya records highest number of deaths from Covid-19

Continue Reading

Sports

Kenya’s coronavirus cases rise to 13,771 after 418 more infections

Published

on

Loading...

By NATION REPORTER

Kenya on Monday reported 418 more Covid-19 infections, raising the country’s tally to 13,771 since the virus was first confirmed on March 13.

Loading...

Health Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS) Rashid Aman also reported four more deaths, raising the toll to 238. He rectified an earlier report about 19 deaths in a single day, which would have been the highest number ever recorded in Kenya.

The 418 new patients were found following the testing of 2,474 samples in the last 24 hours.

Four hundred and eight of them were Kenyans and 10 foreigners while male patients numbered 263 and female patients 155.

Dr Aman also announced that 494 patients had been discharged, raising the country’s total number of recoveries to 5,616.

Of the recovered patients, 465 were under home care and the rest in hospitals.

Advertisement

More to follow

Loading...
Continue Reading

Trending