Connect with us

General

Court detains Sh21 million KCB theft suspects for more days

Published

on

Loading...


By LUCY MKANYIKA
More by this Author

Wundanyi court has ordered two Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) #ticker:KCB workers arrested last week on suspicion of stealing Sh21 million detained for five more days to allow investigations to be completed.

Resident Magistrate Emily Nyakundi said Mr Peter Ngoda and Benedict Mativo will remain in custody at Wundanyi police station until September 28.

Magistrate Nyakundi said the detention will allow the prosecution to complete their investigations before they appear before her on Friday.

The court issued the order after the prosecution council Jethron Okumu asked the magistrate to detain the two suspects longer to enable investigations to be completed.

Mr Okumu noted that the investigations were wide and needed time to be exhausted.

In the notice of motion to the court, he also noted that the two workers were the core suspects in the case of stealing by servant.

The two were bank officials were responsible for the care and custody of the bank’s safe between September 17-20.

It is alleged that the funds went missing in the four days.

“Leads pointing to the recovery of the cash have been established,” read the statement.

Loading...

Mr Ngoda and Mr Mativo were being held at Wundanyi police station pending investigations.

Sources at the Criminal Investigation offices told the Nation that the prosecution had already established a strong case against the respondents.

“The CCTV footage show that they were the ones who took the money,” said one of the officer who declined to be named because he was not allowed to talk to the media.

The employees had reported to the manager that the codes had refused to open the safe which made the manager seek for assistance from their Nairobi headquarters offices.

The manager then called the police who arrested the two senior staff on Friday.



Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Our brand new bus is the coolest by any KPL team, Kakamega Homeboyz brag – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Kenyan Premier League side Kakamega Homeboyz are the proud owners of a new team bus which they’ve quickly branded the coolest bus in the league.

Club chairman Cleophas Shimanyula has revealed that the brand new bus was bought at a whooping Sh18 million.

BRAGGING RIGHTS

“There is no team in KPL which has ever acquired that kind of bus. Not even Wazito, who are always bragging that they have an exceptional bus. Sitting on it is like travelling in a tour vehicles. You can’t feel any movement in your seat even if it is on a rough road,” Shimanyula told Nairobi News.

Shimanyula added that the bus was just a motivational present for the team and more goodies are on the way if the team wins this season’s KPL title whose fate is to be known next week.

The quoted cost of the bus is almost four times the prize money reserved for the league winners at the end of every season.

Kakamega Homeboyz, who are sponsored by the County Government of Kakamega, are second on the log with 47 points, seven less than league leaders Gor Mahia.

EXPENSIVE BUS

Loading...

Apart from Homeboyz and Wazito, owned by tycoon Ricardo Bodoer, AFC Leopards also own an expensive team bus.

Leopards acquired a 51-seater bus from Chinese manufacturing firm Golden Dragon in mid-March.

The bus was gifted to Ingwe through international fundraising expert, Nelson Sechere, who is a consultant with African Capacity Building Foundation – a specialised agency for African Union.

Juma Kwayera, who was part of the team that rescued AFC Leopards from relegation in 2009 and 2012, was instrumental in pushing for a bus for the team.

Reigning champions Gor Mahia also own abus which is currently being renovated at a Nairobi garage at a cost of Sh250,000.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Kenyans to apply for civil marriages online – KBC

Published

on

Loading...

The Marriage Registry at the Office of the Attorney General has initiated online services to allow marriages to continue.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

Speaking to the media at Sheria House, Chief Administrative Secretary Ms. Winne Guchu noted that before the Covid-19 pandemic hit the country, the registry had a total of 815 applications for civil marriages which could not be processed.

She pointed out that 793 out the 815 applications have expired and only 22 were within the 90 days’ notice required by law.

“Going forward, all applications will be handled online and applicants will only visit the registry ones all application procedures and payments are completed,” said Ms. Guchu.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Loading...

She clarified that the marriage registry would start with the pending 793 applications before allowing new applicants on the system.

She also noted that where payments had been done, no further charges would be imposed on applicants.

On the issue of numbers who attend the marriage ceremony, Ms. Guchu stressed that only four people would be allowed in the marriage room.

“The four people attending the ceremony will include the couple wedding, one witness and the registrar of marriages,” said Ms. Guchu. The restriction is meant to adhere to social distancing as per the Ministry of Health guidelines.

In anticipation of large numbers of applications expected due to backlog, Ms. Guchu hinted at the possibility of marriages being conducted in open spaces as opposed to the Sheria house alone. She pointed out that this would allow more marriages to be conducted in a shorter period.

As for Christian, Hindu and Islamic marriages, application procedures would be online and they would only visit the registry for certification.

By the time marriages were stopped, there were 1,758 such applications pending which would now go to the online platform.

In attendance was the Registrar General at the office of the AG and Department of Justice Ms. Mary Njuya.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Here’s how Davido is reclaiming his life – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Nigerian singer, Davido has announced that he will be going on a personal sabbatical to help him keep away from social media and a section of people in his life.

Davido said on Instagram that, all his life, he has been putting other people’s needs first. That is now changing.

The musician said he had also changed his mobile phone number and requested the people who cannot reach not to try doing so.

“If you can’t reach me don’t reach me! I’ll contact you!! All my life I’ve put people before me….. I think it is time to actually live my life and take care of myself. I’ve changed my number!! I needed some cleansing to do LOVE Y’ALL,” wrote Davido.

Many of his fans including other celebrities appeared to support his decision telling him that self-care was important.

American rapper Ludacris replied, “Preach.”

Babeanimalatl wrote, “I just changed my number & Cut off a whole decade of people. I feel every f’ng word in this post. Self-love & self-care is hard for people with big selfless hearts. Took me too long to figure this out! I wish you & your family infinite peace, excellent health, love, protection & light.”

Kaylahoniwa said, “You deserve it pls rest,”

Twyse_16 commented, “It’s necessary sometimes.”

Loading...

Irenejob stated, “We need you to be in the best state of mind and health to fulfil your purpose. You have done amazing OBO, even God wants you to be happy and healthy. I totally support this decision our Most Valuable Nigerian Youth.”

Odesope.olajide said, “Enjoy your peace king …. Thoroughly deserved.

Boujee.beni remarked, “Rest and take good care of yourself wish you a safe recovery love you.”

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending