Connect with us

General

Cop found murdered at her Nairobi house : The Standard

Published

on

Loading...
Hellen Kwamboka, police officer found murdered at her Umoja house, Nairobi.

The body of Hellen Kwamboka, a police officer attached to Parliament Police Station, has been found dumped at her Umoja house in Nairobi.

It is alleged she was murdered on Friday morning.
Officers who were on duty with Kwamboka suspected something was amiss when she did not pick up her phone or report for duty. It is when they decided to go to her Umoja house on Gaikuyu Road.
According to a police report, on arriving, DCI officers from Buru Buru found the house locked from the inside and suspected something ‘unusual.’
The body of the officer was found on her bed with a deep cut on her head and blood stains all over the house.
It is also reported that there were signs of strangulation on Kwamboka’s neck.
Police are pursuing her boyfriend as a possible murder suspect as they believe he killed her before escaping. The lover had earlier visited Kwambokat before committing the alleged crime.
No murder weapon was discovered at the crime scene nor the deceased’s mobile phone.
The body of the deceased has been moved to Chiromo mortuary in Nairobi.

Register to advertise your products & services on our classifieds website Digger.co.ke and enjoy one month subscription free of charge and 3 free ads on the Standard newspaper.

Loading...

Cop found murderedHellen KwambokaCrimes of PassionMurder

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Syrians vote for new parliament amid war, economic turmoil » Capital News

Published

on

Loading...

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s Baath party and its allies are expected to take most of parliament’s 250 seats in the country’s third legislative polls since the war started nine years ago © AFP

Damascus, Syrian Arab Republic, Jul 19 – Syrians voted Sunday to elect a new parliament as the Damascus government grapples with international sanctions and a crumbling economy after retaking large parts of the war-torn country.

More than 7,400 polling stations opened across government-held parts of Syria, including for the first time in former opposition strongholds, the electoral commission said.

President Bashar al-Assad’s Baath party and its allies are expected to take most of parliament’s 250 seats in the third such polls to be held since the war started nine years ago.

In Damascus, dozens of voters — some in face masks to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus — headed to polling stations to cast their ballots, an AFP correspondent said.

Inside one centre, several posted their choice in a sealed envelope into a plastic ballot box, as organisers in face coverings and gloves looked on.

Nearby, volunteers carried the programmes and pictures of their candidates of choice, and tried to draw in passersby to come in a vote.

Hana Sukriye, 29, a employee at the finance ministry, said she was voting for the first time in her life.

“My vote alone won’t make a difference, but if we all come together to choose worthy candidates, there will be an impact and change,” she said.

“Everybody needs to choose now so that they can later hold accountable and object to the performance of candidates who get elected” if necessary.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

– ‘Improve services’ –

Syrians are electing a new parliament as the Damascus government grapples with international sanctions and a crumbling economy with voting taking place for the first time in former opposition strongholds © AFP

On the eve of the polls, one person was killed and another wounded in a blast in Damascus, state news agency SANA said, but the cause of the explosion was not immediately clear.

Several lists were allowed to run across the country but any real opposition is absent, and the ruling Baath party is expected to retain its hegemony.

Loading...

Portraits of the contenders have been displayed across the capital for weeks, with the 1,658 candidates including several prominent businessmen.

The elections, twice postponed from April due to the coronavirus pandemic, come at a time when most Syrians are worried about the soaring cost of living.

Many candidates are running on programmes pledging to tackle inflation and improve infrastructure ravaged by the conflict.

“Lawmakers are going to have to make exceptional efforts to improve services,” said Umaya, a 31-year-old woman who works in a dentist’s practice.

Millions of Syrians living abroad, after fleeing a war that has killed more than 380,000 people, are not eligible to vote.

But for the first time, voting will take place in territory retaken by the government, including in the Eastern Ghouta region outside Damascus and in the south of Idlib province in the country’s northwest.

After a string of military victories backed by key ally Russia, the government is back in control of around 70 percent of the country, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor says.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

In the last polls in 2016, turnout stood at 57 percent.

– ‘Unprecedented hunger crisis’ –

The election comes as President Bashar al-Assad, seen in this June 13, 2000 picture, marked a second decade in power this month © AFP/File / Rabih MOGHRABI

This year’s vote comes as Damascus struggles to redress an economy battered by nine years of war, Western sanctions and the fallout of a financial crisis in neighbouring Lebanon.

Food prices in Syria have shot up by more than 200 percent in the past year and now stand at 20 times their pre-war levels, the World Food Programme says.

In a country where more than 80 percent of people already live in poverty, the UN food agency has warned that Syrians are now facing an “unprecedented hunger crisis”.

The elections also come as Assad marked a second decade in power this month, and weeks after the United States imposed new sanctions on Syria including on the president’s wife.

The next presidential polls are expected in 2021, and candidates will need the written approval of at least 35 members of parliament.

Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem last month said Assad would remain in power “as long as the Syrian want him to stay”.

Syria has officially recorded 496 cases of the novel coronavirus, including 25 deaths in government-held areas.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Officers asked to adhere to directives as they discharge duties – KBC

Published

on

Loading...



NGAO Kenya
NGAO Kenya Covid19 Response TOTs had a training session of 63 officers from Kajiado county with representatives from the 6 subcounties within Kajiado County .

The National Gun Owner’s Association has asked police officers to adhere to the health directives on how to protect themselves as they discharge their duties during this pandemic.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

The association noted that police are in the frontline in implementing government directive on curbing the spread of the Coronavirus among them enforcing curfew orders.

Speaking in Marsabit after conducting awareness campaigns on police officers on how to protect themselves against contracting the virus, Isaack Mustaq a member of the National Gun Owner’s Association said police officers have been at risk due to their daily duties that include mingling with people.

Mustaq noted that at least 7,000 police officers have been trained in 33 counties.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Marsabit Police Commander Samuel Mutunga at the same time asked residents to adhere to the guidelines issued by the ministry of health in order to avert the pandemic.

Loading...

Mutunga noted that it was worrying after it emerged that people have been waiting for police to put on masks when in public places.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think





Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Twitter says hackers downloaded private account data

Published

on

Loading...

Twitter has confirmed hackers made use of tools that were supposed to have only been available to its own staff to carry off Wednesday’s hack attack.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

The breach saw the accounts of Barack Obama, Elon Musk, Kanye West and Bill Gates among other celebrities used to tweet a Bitcoin scam.

Twitter also revealed the perpetrators had downloaded data from up to eight of the accounts involved.

It declined to reveal their identities but said none of them were “verified”.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

This means they did not have a blue tick to confirm their ownership, and thus were not among the most high-profile hacked accounts.

However, the fact the attackers were able to make use of the Your Twitter Data download tool means they now potentially have access to affected users’:

  • private direct messages, including photos and videos
  • contacts, which Twitter’s app would have imported from their smartphone address books
  • physical location history, logged at times they had used the service
  • details about the accounts they had muted and blocked
  • interest and demographic information Twitter had inferred about them via their use of its platform

In a further development, the New York Times has suggested that the social network became exposed after the hackers gained access to credentials that had been shared on Twitter’s internal Slack messaging channel – a service that some companies use as an alternative to email.

The newspaper also suggests that at least two of those involved are from England.

In total, Twitter said 130 accounts had been targeted, of which the hackers had managed to reset the passwords of 45, giving them control.

It added that it believed those responsible may have attempted to sell some of the pilfered usernames.

“The attackers successfully manipulated a small number of employees and used their credentials to access Twitter’s internal systems,” it said in a statement.

“We are continuing our investigation of this incident, working with law enforcement, and determining longer-term actions we should take to improve the security of our systems.”

It added: “We’re embarrassed, we’re disappointed, and more than anything, we’re sorry.”

How did the attack unfold?

Twitter said the attackers had targeted certain Twitter employees through a “social engineering scheme”.

“In this context, social engineering is the intentional manipulation of people into performing certain actions and divulging confidential information,” it said.

Loading...

A small number of staff had been successfully manipulated, it said.

Once inside Twitter’s internal systems, the hackers were not able to see users’ previous passwords but could access personal information including email addresses and phone numbers as these are visible to staff using internal support tools.

They may also have been able to view additional information, the company said. There has been speculation that this could include direct messages.

The private messages of Kanye West, Kim Kardashian West or Elon Musk could be worth money on dark web forums. Selling the private messages of presidential hopeful Joe Biden or former mayor of New York Michael Bloomberg could also have political consequences.

It is not clear why the hackers did not download all the data of these celebrity accounts but did so for others.

Twitter is “actively working on communicating directly” with the affected users, its statement said. It is also continuing to restore access for other users still locked out of their accounts as a result of the firm’s initial response to the hack.

What happened during the hack?

On 15 July, a number of Bitcoin-related accounts began tweeting what appeared to be a simple Bitcoin scam, promising to “give back” to the community by doubling any Bitcoin sent to their address.

Then, the apparent scam spread to high-profile accounts such as Kim Kardashian West and Joe Biden, and those of corporations Apple and Uber.

Twitter scrambled to contain the unprecedented attack, temporarily preventing all verified users – those with a blue tick on their accounts – from tweeting.

However, US President Donald Trump, one of the most prominent Twitter users, was unaffected.

There has been speculation for some time that President Trump has extra protections in place after his account was deactivated by an employee on their last day of work in 2017.

The New York Times confirmed that was how Mr Trump’s account escaped the attack, citing an anonymous White House official and a separate Twitter employee.

Despite the fact that the scam was obvious to some, the attackers received hundreds of transfers, worth more than $100,000 (£80,000).

What do we know about the attackers?

Bitcoin is extremely hard to trace and the three separate crypto-currency wallets that the cyber-criminals used have already been emptied.

The digital money is likely to be split into smaller amounts and run through so-called “mixer” or “tumbler” services to make it even harder to trace back to the attackers.

Clues about those responsible have surfaced through bragging on social media – including on Twitter itself.

Earlier this week, researchers at cyber-crime intelligence firm Hudson Rock spotted an advert on a hacker forum claiming to be able to steal any Twitter account by changing the email address to which it is linked.

The seller also posted a screenshot of the panel usually reserved for high-level Twitter employees. It appeared to allow full control of adding an email to an account or “detaching” existing ones.

This means that the attackers had access to the back end of Twitter at least 36-48 hours before the Bitcoin scams began appearing on Wednesday evening.

The researchers have also linked at least one Twitter account to the hack, which has now been suspended.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending