Connect with us

Sports

Brendan Rodgers signs new long term deal with Leicester after shunning Arsenal’s interests ▷ Kenya News

Published

on

Loading...

– Brendan Rodgers signs new long term deal with Leicester City until 2025

– The manager took over at the club in February 2019

– Rodgers has been impressive with the club as they currently rank second on the table

– This means Arsenal will no longer be able to hire the tactician as Unai Emery’s replacement

Premier League side Leicester City have confirmed that their manager Brendan Rodgers has committed his future to the club.

The 46-year-old who signed a new deal with the Foxes which will see him stay at the club until the summer of 2025.

READ ALSO: Arsenal vs Brighton: Fans blast Aubameyang after taking toilet break during Gunners defeat

Brendan Rodgers signs new long term deal with Leicester after shunning Arsenal's interests

Brendan Rodgers signs new long term deal with Leicester after shunning Arsenal’s interests. Photo: Getty
Source: Getty Images

READ ALSO: Zlatan Ibrahimovic slams Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of his Serie A switch

Rodgers initially joined the King Power Stadium outfit earlier this year and has transformed the club which currently is on an unlikely hunt for a second premier league title.

The former Liverpool boss has won 17 of 26 Premier League matches since his appointment in February 2019.

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group ‘Naija Football Fan Zone’

They currently sit second in the table after equalling a 56-year-old Club record of seven consecutive top-flight victories.

While reacting to his new deal, Rodgers said: “When I made the decision to come to Leicester City, it was because I was excited about the direction the Club was taking and how I could apply my experience to the journey.

I came here with a purpose to add something to that and to help the Club build for the future.

He goes on to thank the club’s supporters for what he termed as a warm reception since the first day he got to the King Power.

And to the Club’s supporters, I can only say thank you for welcoming me and my staff into your Club and for putting your faith in our work. We’ll continue to work together to bring success to Leicester City for many years to come.”

READ ALSO: 5 Premier League managers who were sacked after being thumped by Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool

The Foxes will hope to continue their winning streak when they visit Villa Park to battle Aston Villa in their matchday 16 encounter.

Arsenal had initially stepped up their chase to lure Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers to Emirates Stadium.

The north Londoners fired their manager Unai Emery last month after about one and a half year in charge of the club.

Club legend Freddie Ljungberg took charge of the Gunners 2-2 draw at Carrow Road against Norwich City on Sunday.

But the club is still hoping to name a substantial manager in a matter of days as they are hoping to revive their chances of finishing among top four this season.

Do you have an inspirational story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through [email protected] or WhatsApp: 0732482690. Contact Tuko.co.ke instantly

They have refused to arrest him because he is a police officer-Janet Mbeca | Tuko TV:

Subscribe to watch new videos

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Europe beckons for South African rugby after Kiwi snub

Published

on

Loading...

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, Jul 20World Cup-winning Springbok Schalk Brits believes the future of South African rugby lies in Europe after New Zealand said there was no room for sides from the republic in Super Rugby.

“All of this jet lag and flying across different time zones just does not work,” said the hooker who retired after the triumphant 2019 World Cup campaign.

“We have got so many South Africans playing in Europe and it would be awesome to see them in action here for European clubs.”

With New Zealand favouring a trans-Tasman Super Rugby competition, South Africa Rugby chief executive Jurie Roux will address the media Tuesday about the way forward.

There has been no rugby in South Africa since mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic, which claimed 5,033 lives by late Sunday, the most in an African country.

Here, AFP Sport looks at the possibilities for the world champions Springboks and Super Rugby teams the Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers.

Rugby Championship

There has been speculation that the six-round annual tournament will be cut to four matches with New Zealand and Australia playing in South Africa only every second year.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

That would be a huge blow for SA Rugby coffers as the century-old rivalry with the All Blacks makes them a huge drawcard.

South Africa might consider abandoning the Championship and pursuing a suggestion by former All Blacks Justin Marshall and Jeff Wilson for three-Test tours between the great rivals.

“British and Irish Lions tours are so successful because we look forward to them,” noted another ex-All Black, John Kirwan. The same could be said of an All Blacks-Springboks series.

‘Seven Nations’

Should South African franchises move north, would the Springboks follow suit and apply to join England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales in a ‘Seven Nations’ championship?

Having the world champions on board would surely excite the organisers and costs would be greatly reduced if the Springboks played their three away matches on consecutive weekends.

Loading...

England, Ireland, France and Wales, in particular, would bring freshness for rugby followers, who have not rushed to the turnstiles for Championship visits by Australia and Argentina.

Ask the SA Rugby treasurer for his ‘dream’ line-up and he would surely say a multi-Test tour by the All Blacks and participation in the ‘Seven Nations’.

Super Rugby

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Although not official yet, the reality is that New Zealand want to play some Australian sides and the Pacific Islands in a new competition while excluding South Africa and Argentina.

The original version, a Super 10 between 1993 and 1995, was a superb competition, but constant tinkering and expansion has led to waning interest in a difficult-to-follow event.

Even those supporting the Golden Lions of South Africa could not have derived too much satisfaction from a 94-7 thrashing of Japanese visitors the Sunwolves three years ago.

South Africa sides often battled with time differences in Australasia — New Zealand is 11 hours ahead of the republic — and were weary after four-match tours.

‘Pro16’

Pro14 chief executive Martin Anayi says he would welcome Super Rugby ‘rejects’ the Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers into an expanded edition.

“The tournament works well but could be even better if we added some South African teams,” he said, referring to a competition that also includes Irish, Italian, Scottish and Welsh teams.

But there may be no room for the two current South African Pro14 participants, the Cheetahs and Kings, who have experienced very different fortunes.

While the Cheetahs have been competitive, the Kings won just four of 55 matches in three seasons with some of the losing margins embarrassing.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Currie Cup

The domestic competition has survived constant format changes to remain the vital ‘nursery’ from which Springboks emerge.

First staged in 1892, it was the bedrock of South African rugby until the dawn of professionalism after the 1995 Rugby World Cup.

As Test and Super Rugby fixtures took up an increasing amount of the season, the Currie Cup often battled for calendar space.

But it survived and this year could feature the four Super Rugby sides plus the Cheetahs, Kings, Griquas and Pumas, if play is possible amid the coronavirus.

Loading...
Continue Reading

Sports

Kenya records highest number of deaths from Covid-19

Published

on

Loading...
Kenya records highest number of deaths from Covid-19

Continue Reading

Sports

Kenya’s coronavirus cases rise to 13,771 after 418 more infections

Published

on

Loading...

By NATION REPORTER

Kenya on Monday reported 418 more Covid-19 infections, raising the country’s tally to 13,771 since the virus was first confirmed on March 13.

Loading...

Health Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS) Rashid Aman also reported four more deaths, raising the toll to 238. He rectified an earlier report about 19 deaths in a single day, which would have been the highest number ever recorded in Kenya.

The 418 new patients were found following the testing of 2,474 samples in the last 24 hours.

Four hundred and eight of them were Kenyans and 10 foreigners while male patients numbered 263 and female patients 155.

Dr Aman also announced that 494 patients had been discharged, raising the country’s total number of recoveries to 5,616.

Of the recovered patients, 465 were under home care and the rest in hospitals.

Advertisement

More to follow

Loading...
Continue Reading

Trending