Connect with us

General

Arsenal manager Arteta tests positive for coronavirus – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has tested positive for the coronavirus, prompting the Gunners’ Premier League match at Brighton on Saturday to be postponed.

Arsenal have closed their training ground as a result of Arteta’s positive test, with Gunners players and club staff who had recent contact with the Spaniard now forced to self-isolate.

“This is really disappointing but I took the test after feeling poorly,” Arteta said in a statement on Arsenal’s website.

“I will be at work as soon as I’m allowed.”

Arsenal confirmed the shock news just minutes after the Premier League had said all fixtures would go ahead this weekend despite the spread of the global pandemic.

Arsenal said it was “clear we will not be able to play some fixtures on their currently scheduled dates” and Brighton quickly confirmed their clash at the Amex Stadium had been called off.

“First and foremost our thoughts are with Mikel Arteta and we wish him a speedy recovery,” Brighton chief executive Paul Barber said.

“It’s absolutely essential the health and wellbeing of individuals takes priority and with that in mind, Saturday’s match has been postponed.

“We apologise to all fans for any inconvenience but trust everyone will understand that we are all facing an unprecedented situation.”

Arsenal’s Premier League match at Manchester City on Wednesday was postponed and several Gunners players went into self-isolation after Olympiakos and Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis contracted the virus.

Marinakis, 52, met a number of Arsenal’s players and staff when the Gunners faced Olympiakos in a Europa League tie in February.

“Our London Colney training centre has been closed after head coach Mikel Arteta received a positive Covid-19 result this evening,” the Arsenal statement said.

“Arsenal personnel who had recent close contact with Mikel will now self-isolate in line with Government health guidelines.

“We expect this to be a significant number of people from Colney, including the full first-team squad and coaching staff.”

Loading...

Arsenal are now trying to trace any other people who may have had contact with Arteta.

– Premier League emergency –

Arsenal managing director Vinai Venkatesham added: “The health of our people and the wider public is our priority and that is where our focus is.

“Our thoughts are with Mikel who is disappointed but in good spirits. We are in active dialogue with all the relevant people to manage this situation appropriately, and we look forward to getting back to training and playing as soon as medical advice allows.”

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Thursday that the government was considering cancelling sporting events in the United Kingdom, but was not ready to do so yet.

But the news of Arteta’s positive test could force the Premier League to cancel English top-flight matches.

“In light of Arsenal’s announcement tonight confirming that their first-team coach Mikel Arteta has tested positive for COVID-19, the Premier League will convene an emergency club meeting tomorrow morning regarding future fixtures,” the Premier League said.

Arsenal are the latest Premier League club to be hit by the virus.

Leicester revealed on Thursday that three of their players have self-isolated after showing signs of the virus.

Manchester City said one unnamed member of their squad, reportedly France defender Benjamin Mendy, is in self-isolation after a family member suffered a respiratory illness.

The relative is being treated in hospital and has undergone tests for the coronavirus.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

How Covid-19 has made hospitals ‘no go zones’ for some people – Nairobi News

Published

on

Loading...

Hospitals in Kenya have greatly felt the economic effects of Covid-19 with the sick now avoiding visiting medical facilities.

It is quite ironical that during the Coronavirus epidemic, when medical workers should be busy working in various medical facilities, some have lost their jobs.

COVID-19 TEST

Nairobi News spoke to some city dwellers who said that they are now completely avoiding visiting medical facilities until the situation is sorted out.

Mr Kevin Kibwage, who lives in Lang’ata, said that two weeks ago he felt sick but he avoided visiting any medical facility.

“I could not do that because I feared that they would force me into taking a Covid-19 test which is what everyone is currently afraid of,” he said.

Mr Kibwage said that since it is hard to tell whether one had contacted Coronavirus or not it is a big challenge to just visit a hospital for medical attention.

Deborah Kimani, who resides in Kasarani, has been visiting Kenyatta University Hospital but when she recently contacted typhoid she opted to visit a chemist.

Ms Kimani said that she shared with the pharmacist who prescribed her with typhoid drugs and she is recovering.

“I am now doing well. I didn’t have the guts to visit a medical facility for fear of being tested for the deadly Coronavirus,” she said.

Loading...

THE OUTBREAK

Ms Jane Mwihaki had for two months avoided taking her newborn to clinic because of the fear of contacting the disease.

She instead opted to ask the doctor to visit her home and attend to her and the baby.

“The doctor has been coming to my house, something I have never thought would have happened all because of the Covid-19 outbreak,” she said.

A number of medical workers who spoke to Nairobi News in confidence also confirmed that indeed the number of patients visiting medical facilities have declined.

Already, staff at Mater Hospital have taken pay cut due to the effects of the deadly Coronavirus outbreak.

Nairobi News has established that a number of medical facilities have also forced their members of staff into taking pay cuts.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Floating footbridge to end congestion at Likoni channel – KBC

Published

on

Loading...
Vehicles disembark from MV Likoni at the Likoni crossing channel that connects Mombasa Island to the mainland south. The national government seeks to construct Likoni Floating Pedestrian Bridge in six months’ time to end congestion at the vital channel

The first pedestrian footbridge to be built at the Likoni crossing channel will end the perennial human congestion at vital crossing channel in Mombasa County.

KBC Radio_KICD Timetable

Likoni Deputy County Commissioner (DCC) Francis Kazungu said the construction of the floating bridge is a high-level decision by the national government in response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

The project worth Sh 1.5 billion will be undertaken by the State Department of Infrastructure through its implementing agency, the Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA).

The 0106 KNA 9China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC) will be implementing the project dubbed the ‘Likoni Floating Pedestrian Bridge’ and is expected to start in June and end in November this year.

Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153

Loading...

Kazungu said the new floating bridge will be for the exclusive use of pedestrians as an alternative to the ferries noting that enforcing social distancing at the vital crossing channel has been a nightmare for the authorities since the outbreak of the viral disease.

Speaking to KNA at the Shika Adabu chief’s office during a food distribution exercise Kazungu said the goal of the project is to ease pressure of the overcrowded Likoni ferry during the current covid-19 outbreak.

“The bridge will help reduce the perennial congestion at the crossing channel and allow residents to access Mombasa Island and the mainland south with ease,” he said on Sunday.

He noted that observing social distancing which is a key intervention measure in curbing the spread of the viral disease would be a lot easier once the bridge is constructed.

He said the envisioned bridge will complement the existing ferry services to streamline safe passageways for pedestrians and reduce overcrowding and long queues.

The floating bridge will be a composite structure designed for pedestrians only. The bridge deck will comprise of 529 m long floating section, and 54 m long approaches on either side of the floating span.

It will be connected by pins and hinges and guard rails will be installed on either side of the deck to ensure pedestrian safety.

Alex Kahindi who lives in Likoni but works in Mombasa Island said the floating suspension bridge would make life easier for the residents.

KBC-You-tube-728x90-New-2

Tell Us What You Think


Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Mexico’s tally of confirmed Covid-19 deaths now over 10,000

Published

on

Loading...

By AFP

Loading...

Mexico City

Mexico’s tally of confirmed Covid-19 deaths passed 10,000 on Monday, the health secretary said, following an increase of 237 on the previous day.

News of the updated toll – now 10,167 – came as Mexico announced it was gradually reopening its economy by reactivating its automotive, mining and construction sectors.

Mexico is second only to Brazil in Latin America for Covid-19 deaths, although the South American giant has had close to three times as many.

DEATH RATE HIGHER

However, Mexico’s death rate compared to cases is much higher.

Advertisement

It recorded almost 2,800 new cases on Monday taking its total over 93,000.

“Today we began production activities related to the automotive industry, mining and the construction industry,” President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said earlier on Monday.

“We have to move towards the new normal because it’s necessary for our national economy, our people’s wellbeing; we need to, little by little, return production, economic, social and cultural activity to normal.”

SHUTDOWN

Mexico shut down all but necessary economic activity on March 23, after Lopez Obrador had come under intense criticism and bucked the regional trend by resisting calls to impose a lockdown much earlier.

On a visit to Quintana Roo state, where the popular Cancun seaside resort is located, Lopez Obrador also said tourism activity would be reopened from next week.

Comments

comments

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending