Connect with us

General

Anxiety As Kenyans Wait For Sharon Otieno’s Post Mortem

Published

on

Loading...
Doctors will today morning carry out a post-mortem on the body of the late Sharon Otieno, whose gruesome murder has shocked the nation, at the Rachuonyo Level Four Hospital in Oyugis.

Her body has been lying at the county mortuary since Wednesday when it was discovered in a thicket.

On Thursday when the Nation visited the hospital, there was little activity at the facility.

However, attendants said a family pathologist had arrived earlier in the day at the mortuary but could not do anything as he awaited the government pathologist.

A team of about 10 special investigative officers from Nairobi were at the Oyugi’s police station but declined to comment on anything.

“I am not allowed to speak to the media. Talk to the bosses here,” one of the lady officers said.

According to sources, the team visited the morgue where they viewed Ms Otieno’s body and made notes.

Loading...

On Wednesday, Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti had promised crack the murder case of Ms Otieno in three days.

He said he had dispatched a special team of homicide detectives to Homa Bay to investigate the murder.

The detectives will also look into the attempted murder of Nation reporter Barrack Oduor, who escaped death narrowly.

The team, Mr Kinoti said, will trace the events that led to the murder of the second-year Rongo University student whose body was found in a thicket near Kodera Forest in the wee hours of Wednesday.

Already, key statements have been taken from some of the witnesses and some of the suspects are staring at arrest.

“The investigators are waiting for the postmortem and DNA tests and we hope to get to the bottom of all this. Actually, we are at the tail-end,” Mr Kinoti told the Nation on phone, adding: “We cannot name the main suspect as at now but rest assured that no one will be spared.”

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Raila's change of tact that has seen Nyanza reap benefits

Published

on

Loading...

Raila is keen to discard the activism politics to pursue economic liberation for the region, which has suffered neglect for years.

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Nyandarua County Assembly Speaker impeached for third time

Published

on

Loading...

The special sitting was held despite a court order that reinstated the speaker.

Nyandarua County Assembly Speaker Ndegwa Wahome has been impeached for the third time.
Wahome was voted out over gross misconduct, abuse of office and nepotism in a special sitting held on Saturday.
31 out of the 38 ward representatives supported the impeachment motion while six opposed and one abstained.
The special sitting was held despite an order by Nakuru High Court Judge Hillary Chemitei reinstating Wahome until a case he had filed against his removal was heard and determined.
Reading out the charges, the mover of the motion, Majority Leader Edinard Kingori, accused Wahome of favouritism in assembly functions.
Kingori claimed that Wahome also failed to account for monies meant for the construction of Nyandarua County Assembly offices.

Nyandarua County Assembly Leader of Majority Edinard Kingori displays a notice of impeachment motion against speaker Ndegwa Wahome.

Loading...

The Majority Leader alleged that the embattled speaker colluded with some MCAs and undermined Governor Francis Kimemia’s leadership.
“The speaker has outrightly shown that he is unable to hold office. That is why we want him out. All he keeps asking from the executive is for more money yet he cannot account for the ones he has been allocated. We cannot allow this anymore. He has been discriminating against some of us in county assembly functions while favouring others. Is this fair?” posed Kingori.

Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!
Take a survey

Responding to the allegations, Wahome, who defended himself via zoom, said the impeachment was merely a political act.
“We know whose hand is behind this. My hands are clean and everyone can attest that I have run this assembly professionally since I took over eight years ago,” said Wahome.
Wahome said that his demand for accountability and firm stand against corruption in the county was the root cause of his predicament. 
The speaker was represented by lawyers, Martin Waichungo and Mathea Gikunju.

 

Loading...
Continue Reading

General

Matiang’i, Kinoti and Mutyambai summoned to court on Monday over missing Turk

Published

on

Loading...

Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr. Fred Matiang’i. [File, Standard]

Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i, DCI boss George Kinoti and Inspector-General of Police Hillary Mutyambai have been summoned to court to explain the whereabouts of a Turkish national, who was allegedly abducted in Nairobi last Monday, May 3.
Kiambu High Court judge, Mary Kasango, wants the three, on Monday, May 10, to reveal the whereabouts of Selahaddin Gulen, a nephew of a top Opposition leader in Turkey Fethullah Gulen.
Rachier & Amollo Advocates, the lawyers of the missing man, had applied to have the three security bosses summoned to explain the whereabouts of their client.
Selahaddin is reported to have been abducted while on his way to DCI headquarters, Kiambu Road, where he was seeking the assistance of Interpol to help clear his name over allegations of involvement in crime in Turkey.
Selahaddin is a nephew of Fethullah, who inspired the Gulen movement, which is known as Hizmet (or service) in Turkey, and runs educational institutions across the world, including Kenya through the Light Academy schools.
However, after a bloody attempted coup in July 2016, President Recep Erdogan accused Fethullah, who inspired the Gulen movement, of being behind the bid to oust him from power.
Erdogan began a crackdown on Fethullah’s followers, who are suspected to run in the millions and hold powerful positions in the military, judiciary and even the ruling party.

Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!
Take a survey

Loading...

After the July 15 uprising when a section of the Turkish military launched a co-ordinated operation in several major cities to topple the government, Erdogan sought the extradition of the cleric from the US, where he has been living since 1999. These attempts have failed.
After the 2016 failed coup, which left at least 240 people dead and more than 2,000 others injured, the Erdogan administration launched a worldwide hunt for people affiliated to the Gulen movement.
Hundreds of people, among them civil servants and military officials, have been jailed for life over the attempted coup.
On Monday, May 3, Gullen’s nephew Selahaddin was arrested in similar fashion to the dramatic 1999 security operation in Nairobi that led to the arrest of Abdullah Ocalan, a wanted man by the Turkish government.
Ocalan was one of the founding members of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), a militant organisation founded in Turkey in 1978 to fight for the rights of minority workers.
PKK was listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkish government, the US and the Europen Union, putting Ocalan on the international list of most wanted men.
The arrest of Selahaddin was executed in almost similar fashion. At around 9am on Monday, Selahaddin, who arrived in the country on October 17 last year on a tourist visa from the US, had planned a meeting with officials from Interpol offices in Nairobi.
His mission, according to his lawyers, was to impress on Interpol to clear his name from the list of wanted men.
He had been listed by Turkey on allegations that he was wanted for an offence that he committed back home in 2008.
Selahaddin has been battling the Turkish government’s attempts to get him to Turkey.
He took the fight to the Kiambu chief magistrate’s court where he fought off attempts by the Director of Pubic Prosecutions to extradite him.
In his court documents filed in Kiambu on January 28 this year, Selahaddin asked the court to block his extradition until the case challenging his expulsion is heard and determined.
In an affidavit filed before the court, Selahaddin raised 42 points why the Kenyan government could not deport him. He attributed his intended extradition to the 2016 attempted coup and the subsequent crackdown by the Turkish government on people perceived to be affiliated to the Gulen movement.
“That the real motive behind the issuance of the Red notice is that, in 2016 (when I lived in the US) there was a failed coup attempt in Turkey. It is suspected that one Fethulla Gulen (my uncle) may have supported the coup.
“The Turkish authorities therefore opened a crackdown on all persons who were directly or indirectly related to the said Fethullah Gulen. All his relatives who were physically present in Turkey were arrested on fictitious criminal charges and are presently serving long prisons sentence in Turkey,” Selahaddin told the court.
The proceedings were, however, stopped by the High Court in Kiambu where Selahaddin sought further orders to stop his extradition.

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Advertisement
Loading...

Trending